33 Likes

Awesome!

1 Like

Woohoo! Congrats! (Guac at Henryā€™s booth.) :grinning:

11 Likes

Ha! As if there was an ever any doubt.
Glad to hear it!

2 Likes

That was speedy - of course there wasnā€™t any doubt about you getting in though! Congrats!

1 Like

Oh, congrats!

Woohoo. If you need an extra set of hands or someone to man it while youā€™re off at the portapotties or getting food, let me know - glad to help man a booth for a day or two. My wife will be in one of the sewing project rooms so Iā€™ve got flexibility.

5 Likes

Portapotties will be the first thing we will make in the booth with the glowforge. That will be a lot of proofgrade!

10 Likes

Go with the walnut. Classiest portapotties ever.

9 Likes

With cherry inlays. Maybe some edge lit acrylic for extra bling :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Iā€™m planning to attend NYC Maker Faire since I live in the area, but itā€™s still far enough away that there might be some last-minute work travel or other reason I canā€™t go. If Iā€™m there, Iā€™d be happy to help anyone out for booth coverage. Iā€™m also thinking about maybe a get-together at my houseā€¦ especially if I have my GF by then.

7 Likes

I really wanted to do this so I called the dean of the STEAM program at our local college to see if I could use their Universal Laser to make some projects in order to have pictures to apply to the maker faire. I worked on getting files ready for three days or really nights. Working full time and staying up all night has made for a rough week. One of the college staff met me to use the laser today but sadly no go. We couldnā€™t get my Illustrator SVG files to work with the Inkscape program they had connected to the laser. So many little details to get right. The line weight, the exact color, the method of saving or exporting from Illustrator. After trying over and over to get anything to print we ran out of time. I now have some really neat files to used when I finally get my Glowforge Pro. I hope they will be easier to get to print.

10 Likes

So sorry your files wouldnā€™t cooperate, but you definitely get a gold star for effort in trying to get items ready for your application! Will they let you try again if you tinker with the details of your files?

3 Likes

Do you want to see if someone here can convert a couple of files for you to Inkscape formats? They should open fine - you might just need to set the line widths to hairline or something similar to use them as cut lines in a Universal Laser. (Someone around here will probably know whatā€™s needed. @jamesdhatch ? @smcgathyfay? )

2 Likes

I would definitly help but Iā€™m out of town until Wednesday and have a convention on Fridayā€¦if you are not in a huge rushā€¦I can certainly have time after that. :smile::smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Jules and everyone. I knew it was a long shot when I asked the Dean. They only had a limited time they could give me and that time has run out. We researched and tweaked the files and had one issue after another. They did not have Illustrator so I had to go back and forth from the school to my house a few miles away to tweak the files. I tried to download Illustrator from my cloud subscription, but the student computers were not set up for downloads. I had some free thingiverse files I had customized and some original art I added. I picked some living hinges like the tie and some boxes and and a kinetic thing with geers and several spirographs. I had wood acrylic, paper and leather to try. I was hoping to get at least one project done, but after all day with them giving me more of their time than planned, nothing worked. I am beat. The wind is out of my sails for now. I guess I now will have a better idea of the value of my Glowforge when I finally get it. I already value the Glowfolks here on the form! Thanks

4 Likes

The deadline to apply for the maker faire is tomorrow. And I donā€™t have access to a laser. Thanks anyway.

2 Likes

Bummer! :frowning:

2 Likes

If itā€™s not too late, I would be happy to try to run some of your files on my Glowforge. I have Illustrator and a nice variety of materials on hand. I could mail you the results.

Added: I could run the job(s) tomorrow and send photos that you could use in your submission, so maybe you could still get that application in tomorrow.

5 Likes

apply anyway. whatā€™s the worst that can happen? they donā€™t accept you?

i didnā€™t have any examples to show them, i applied anyway. if they and GF accept me, iā€™ll have some time to figure it out and cut stuff.

2 Likes