Grants from Glowforge to fund your creativity at Maker Faire

Hey, if Glowforge would make the same offer of $2000 USD and ship me my Canadian unit now so I can get a leg up to cover the http://calgary.makerfaire.com/ end of October… I’d take that.

Just throwin’ that on the table… :smiley:

11 Likes

Offering to lend you one deepens your pain?

11 Likes

Actually, they’re giving you an opportunity to decrease your wait. As others have already quoted:

• If your Glowforge unit has not yet been delivered, we’ll loan you a Glowforge Basic, delivered mid-August
7 Likes

Exactly. Deliver loaner in mid-August for late September show. You simply cannot please some people.

But you can flag them…

7 Likes

So, what about the following statement is a slap in the face? Other than maybe (like me) you don’t have any art to present to MF that would allow you to be accepted.

Note

Edit: looks like I took so long replying that a large number of other have already pointed out what you somehow missed

5 Likes

Slightly amused at the general belief that if a person only had lasers in their life, it will buff them an Immediate Creativity Bonus +20.

20 Likes

While the NY Maker Faire would be increadable, I just don’t see that happening this year. This grant idea is brilliant.

I’d just love to have my Glowforge Pro before the end of July, so I could share it with others at Maker Faire Detroit. While I would not have booth at this show, I’d welcome all who are attending to stop be my house (only about 2 miles from the event) to see the unit in action. I’m sure this would include food and drinks for all who would be able to come visit.

As I’ve not yet received my email asking if I want my unit now or later, it’s a long shot that I’d have it by the end of the month. I hope there is someway to make this happen.

3 Likes

They’re not spending your money or my money or any customer money who hasn’t received their Glowforge.

Right now they’re spending their investor’s money. That’s why they raised 10s of millions in private equity funding.

Since they’re not using “a good chunk of the money” you’ve sent them, you don’t actually get to give them s**t about this. Give them grief for failing to deliver on schedule, but don’t insinuate that they’re using your money for anything but getting you your Glowforge. That’s just short of slanderous.

5 Likes

Not at all. Heck, I agree with your sentiment that the odds are stacked against people who haven’t received their units yet will get chosen for the grant. My sentiment comes from the belief that those who will get chosen already have some demonstrable creative talent in other areas that highlights them as scholarship material.

In other words, if a person has demonstrated creative talent, Glowforge would likely want to make it happen. If you have nothing to show for it at the moment, then statistically it’s not looking good.

Anyways, that’s not what you’re saying. You’re just saying that you’re tired of the “promises” and “offers” and just want your dang unit already. Fair enough. But taking out that frustration against a positive experience for some lucky individuals is just pouring vinegar in the milk.

9 Likes

Chuckle! I’m sure they could come up with something if they tried. As far as tortures go, this one doesn’t even rank.

Listen…even if we don’t get the opportunity to take advantage of it this time, it’s likely a program that they will continue for future Faires, so try to look ahead beyond the distress of the immediate moment. You might want to apply for one the next time around if you have a business idea that can benefit from it.

(I’m not going. This is a hobby for me. Others have a business need.)

edit: Whoops! Looks like I am incorrect. Sorry about that.

7 Likes

lol, now that’s some entitlement, y’all.

4 Likes

this is exactly right. a few grand here or there from their VC fund isn’t actually going to get units out the door more quickly. but this is an interesting way to keep the buzz going. i certainly don’t feel like i’m missing out on anything, and it’s nice that some customer will get to enjoy it.

also, how do you know they wouldn’t accept someone who doesn’t have extensive experience? i guess if you never try you don’t have to worry about getting turned down.

8 Likes

@bailey, I don’t know how much time you spend on the forum, but I tagged you privately. (Probably ought to add @dan as well, since he’s here fairly frequently.) :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Just FWIW, I hope so too!

Thanks for the kind words about the program! You’re right that this comes out of our “marketing” budget - that’s our excuse for using our investors’ dollars to support you and your work.

28 Likes
6 Likes

Wait- I’m still having difficulty equating the offer to support you at the Maker Fair with ‘getting screwed’.
Deep breaths man. Deep breaths. They are working as fast as they can. It will come, and bear in mind that thousands here have waited longer than you. That being said, we whined about it too! :wink:

9 Likes

Wow! This is a great idea! Someone give that idea person a raise.
I got way behind the ball on getting things laser ready, so I wouldn’t be anywhere close to being a worthy applicant, but I will be next time, if you ever do it again! Especially if you open it up to a TX event.
Thanks for supporting us. Good luck you guys!

9 Likes

Why do I get the feeling, that even if you had your GF, you still wouldn’t be going?

13 Likes

This is so great! I had already applied a week ago! Even more excited to get in now. Thanks @staff

14 Likes