Green leaky goo

Can someone take a look inside their unit and tell me if this is normal? Just got a refurb 'forge today, and it has a very strong nose and eye-burning smell inside. While looking inside I noticed this green stuff around the coolant tank and wondered if perhaps it is the source of the smell (or just some sort of sealant or adhesive). The other two didn’t smell like this.

3.26.png?dl=0

1 Like

Mine does not have that. It could be some sealant/glue. Did you check the crumbtray for the smell? Might be something in there getting burned.

2 Likes

Crumb tray was the same crumb tray I’ve used with the other machines, totally clean. It’s been airing out for the last two weeks. The smell is definitely inside the body, I’m trying to figure out what it is and wipe it down. I am thinking it’s coolant, coolant fumes could definitely cause eye burning depending on what’s in it. :frowning:

Ack, you are NOT having good GF luck right now! :frowning:

1 Like

truth

Ah. Not much to smell in there except coolant. Everything else is hard surface or electronic.

2 Likes

I didn’t even think coolant had a smell, this just smells acrid, but it definitely leaves my nose and eyes burning. Fortunately it’s in a separate building from where I sleep, but it is where I work. Think I’m done for the night at least. I’ll see how it smells tomorrow.

I hope you’ve contacted support on this issue! Assume it’s unhealthy (besides being physically irritating) until GF confirms what it is & if there’s any risk to you as-is, or is something you can clean off–but be sure to get their info first since trying to clean it may cause more problems…

1 Like

I thought the coolant was pretty innocuous? I definitely remember the clean-up instructions being ‘just wipe it up’ back when the first glowforges were shipped and a couple arrived with sadness and leaking coolant. Burning your eyes and not being able to be in the same building does not sound like ‘just wipe it up’ territory.

3 Likes

I didn’t even think it had a color.

If it did, the outer tube would also appear that color.

3 Likes

Thanks, I haven’t touched it and will wait to use it. Because the unit had some soot inside it (on the optics and case) my first assumption was the eye/nose burning and acrid smell was from something that had previously been burned in it, so I started to give it a better cleaning and noticed the green stuff. I’ve no idea what it is. I assume it isn’t toxic, just irritating, but I’m not too excited to go back out for a sniff test today. The machine I had previously was not like this inside even after some use.

This post should open a ticket, but since it was Friday afternoon I asked here mostly to find out if other people had the same thing inside.

I can be in the same building, I spent a good hour and I’m still here, but it’s uncomfortable. I would sure like to fix the odor.

I want you to know we’re looking into this, and we’ll follow up shortly with next steps. I’m so sorry for the continued trouble.

1 Like

Thanks @vee, I appreciate it.

Perhaps they fill the coolant tank with water plus a squirt of a concentrated solution which contains the rest of the magic.

Concentrated magic can be nasty.

2 Likes

Look away, no useful information here… Betting since this was a refurbished unit that the the smell is an industrial cleaner that wasn’t completely removed.

Nothing useful gained by me speculating. Staff will let you know eventually.

2 Likes

maybe so, the other refurb didn’t look or smell like anything but brand new glowforge, but it had a broken door so went back to the mothership. this unit must have been filthy inside, it was definitely well used before coming to me, needs more elbow grease and less concentrated magic.

1 Like

I sincerely apologize for the continued trouble; thanks so much for your patience. I’ve consulted with the team, and while sending a refurbished unit is appropriate under your Warranty, it should have arrived in great shape and we’re very sorry that it didn’t. We would be happy to replace this Glowforge and I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details.

4 Likes