"Hand Carved" Dragon (3D)

I do see your point. I’ll compromise and change it to “Hand Carved”. :wink:

Thanks sailbyc. Two 3D passes of 400/full. No defocus, just scrubbed it really well with 91% iso alcohol. I also have a weird scrub brush that has large rubber bristles that works really great. (It’s almost like a soft curry comb if you know what those are.) It seems to work really well at giving a nice finish, but the draftboard really seems to account most for the nice feel of it.

Thanks. :slight_smile: It took about 1.45hrs total for the two passes.

5 Likes

But at what LPI as I think that is what can make or break a deep engrave. Also, the lack of grain in MDF works well for making a smooth cut. I have raised the LPI to the point of not seeing much laser mark in horizontal but unless the cut is very strong and hot the grain of the wood can overwhelm the design, Many lower power passes accentuate the grain.

Actually, that is the worst of the choices. 3D Relief Carved Dragon is both accurate and does not imply hand carving. not so important here as we are all doing work with lasers but as a selling point I would describe it as 3D relief carving or just relief carving as that is what it is,

1 Like

It was the default 3D setting LPI of 340.

Sorry, I just don’t see a reason to argue semantics. I think the description clears things up if someone is really confused about the piece.

Lovely engraves! Hoping I can get something close to that at some point.

Glowforge requires us to confine discussion of manual settings in their forums to the Beyond the Manual category. The current preferred practice is to either move the entire thread to Beyond the Manual or, to start a new thread there and, link to it from this one.

No worries, I made it more clear that I used PF material and PF 3D settings.

Have you tried Butternut wood?

@kittski you noted “I also have a weird scrub brush that has large rubber bristles that works really great. (It’s almost like a soft curry comb if you know what those are.)”

Would you be willing to share a link or pic of this brush? I tried to look up possibilities, but none that I could find seemed to match your description. Thanks!

BTW - amazing carving!

I went to take a picture for you and realized it really isn’t like a curry brush at all. Not sure why I had that image in my head. :beers: :woozy_face: (It does make it nice dog brush though and my dogs love little soft bristles LOL.) I found it at an Asian supermarket and I think I paid a buck for it. It works great for scrubbing engravings.

1 Like

Freakin’ amazing! Wow!

That looks amazing. How thick is the board?

It’s the PF .25 thick draftboard. :slight_smile:

It’s amazing to me that you were able to get that beauty out of crapwood Draftboard. That is really an awesome piece.

3 Likes

Thanks a bunch Tom. I usually only use DB for construction stuff becasue I don’t find it “pretty” by any means. I have admit though, this type of engraving has looked better on this than anything else I’ve tried. Who woulda thunk? :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Absolutely gorgeous

1 Like