Hand cranked laser light show machine

This would lend itself to a Glowforge version. Laser making a laser show machine! Very meta.

29 Likes

That is great!
I have been thinking about cutting plates for a “rose engine” style ornamental lathe on the glowforge. It is basically the same concept but the calculations needed to get the bat symbol are amazing!

7 Likes

This is spectacular. I’m not sure the math is so bad… rotate the image 45 degrees, plot the coordinates on x/y axis, then map the displacements onto a wheel, rotate back… feels plausible, and like someone could write straightforward code to ingest an SVG and output two wheels to draw it!

That someone is probably not me though. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

every once in a while i get annoyed because i know i would have never thought to make something like this. what fun.

5 Likes

Batman equation?

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BatmanCurve.html

3 Likes

yes…? not sure what you mean.

1 Like

Sorry it’s Friday and I’m a beer in…

Use the equation to calculate the gears and such maybe?

1 Like

Ok. This is where some type of Processing script could automate the process. I wouldn’t know where to begin! But this is a good start.

ah, yeah, sorry, i just meant i’d never have come up with the project on my own. like it never would have occurred to me!

(what beer)

3 Likes

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/innis-gunn-kith-kin/491605#.WUSLG9kXbqA

I was planning low volume drinking, so decided on high quality beer. This one has made my top 5 ever. It’s was perfect balance and incredible flavour. Well as much flavour as you get in a stout.

3 Likes

Life is too short to drink bad beer. Tonight is Urban Chestnut Schnicklefritz. It’s a St. Louis micro started by one of the German brewmasters of AB. His beers are absolutely incredible in recreating the German styles. There is a great beer hall in St. Louis where he has recreated the German feeling. Schnicklefritz was what my grandma used to call me. Her father was from Germany, my great-grandfather!

5 Likes

maybe i’ll stop by the lcbo this weekend. i quite like innis and gunn; haven’t seen this before. our local has the normal on tap.

:smiley:

1 Like