Hand Drawn Leopard Engrave

My Dad is a pretty intense artist and has been hand drawing this leopard. We got together and took his finished print and engraved it on some Baltic birch and i think it came out pretty awesome. Would probably try a light stain to bring out the wood grain more or try out black acrylic for next time.

77 Likes

That’s fairly dark for Baltic birch. As with all materials slowing down and doing higher lpi tends to take longer but make it darker.

That being said, cork engraves super dark no matter the power you use, and maple tends to have a darker top end than Baltic.

All I’m saying is that material choice can get you a darker result for sure.

8 Likes

Hey thanks! Im certainly open to any and all suggestions. Im certainly still in the “make it up as I go phase” or “i Hope this button works like i think it does” phase…

7 Likes

Beautiful work from both of you! I agree a nice stain might make it really pop, maybe one with an orange-ish tone? It’d be cool to see it in acrylic and it might look great on a painted tile as well.

5 Likes

Oh heck yes in tile. That’d be perfect.

7 Likes

Beautiful! (Leopards make great subject matter for engraves!)

3 Likes

This is a fabulous drawing…he’s a very talented artist. And, this seems like the perfect thing to engrave as you did.

8 Likes

I can’t nail the painted tiles for some reason. For someone who could, that would be awesome.

4 Likes

Gosh, the two of you make an amazing team!

5 Likes

The drawing is beautiful. I especially love the hair around the mouth.

3 Likes

I don’t know. I first saw the original and thought, wow, this guy is good. And then I saw the engraving and there was a movement in the drawing that was different. It seemed more alive. Perhaps the softness of the brown and less contrast gave it some life.

Bravo to both of you!

6 Likes

Good work by both. Yes tile is the way to go.

3 Likes

Masking a 12x12 marble or other stone tile doing a strong engrave and painting before removing masking and making a nice frame would make a totally awesome addition to your dad’s work sold as a limited edition!
:heart_eyes:

3 Likes

The small details are incredible. Your dad is really talented… you guys will make a fantastic team!

7 Likes

What a stunning drawing!! It looks incredible as an engrave also.

3 Likes

This is so gorgeous - I agree the engrave makes it look even more alive. Great work you both!

4 Likes

That looks amazing! The drawing and engraving both look fantastic!

1 Like

Wow wow wow. I wish I had talent like that. Beautiful!

1 Like

Your dad certainly knows how to spot a leopard! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Very cool, my daughter would love this

1 Like