Happy to kiss gasoline Goodbye

With all of the Model 3’s rolling out of the service center, I was surprised this was still available.
Showing my age I guess…

@chris1, how are you adapting to yours? Got the home charging squared away?

24 Likes

I went really minimalist in Electric vehicles. Hoveround branding.

3 Likes

One of the best movies of all time… according to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I went electric too. 1905 Woods Electric.

15 Likes

Yup, got the wall charger installed right away.

Coming from a Leaf, there hasn’t been too much to adapt to, since we were already used to most aspects of owning an EV. The Model 3 takes it to the next level in terms of range and acceleration.

As for the other stuff, Autopilot has been pretty great. I formed an opinion about it before getting the car, based on some reading and YouTube videos, and I thought it would be a novelty that I’d mostly avoid using. Instead, we both turn it on whenever possible. Long Island involves a lot of highway driving, and it has been pretty solid. It reduces the fatigue of long drives.

Speaking of which, we took one road trip so far that involved stopping to charge, and it worked out just fine. A little planning ahead goes a long way.

4 Likes

Yes, we bought the option thinking it would be good to have the required hardware in place to make it more attractive to a buyer should we decide to sell it at some future time, and have enjoyed using it on trips.

That wasn’t really apparent to me until you get used to it, and turn it off. The bare attention needed for vehicle control that has always been required becomes painfully obvious when you disengage it. Funny how quickly we have adapted. Initially it took a bit to trust it… :grimacing:
I found the regenerative braking easy to get used to… one pedal driving. What’s weird now is getting back into an ICE car… :no_mouth:

This is our first EV so we took a bit of an education on the battery chemistry and how to treat it for optimal lifespan regarding cycling and charge levels, but it has been a welcome and enjoyable change in how we get around, accentuated by the lack of maintenance and expense.

I found the videos on YouTube of the Munro &Associates tear downs of the Model 3 encouraging.
An objective opinion from that team of engineers helped dispell the initial anxiety I had over the price we paid.

I was surprised to find that I have little interest in driving that classic Mustang I had been infatuated with for 20 years. I never saw that coming.
We were both surprised on our agreement to take that leap, but there’s no looking back. :+1:

@danni, that’s beautiful! A fne museum piece. It looks perfect. It srikes me as an intermediate step between technologies. That cab would look right at home being pulled by a horse.
I’m curious about the battery and range.

2 Likes

@PrintToLaser - built in 1905 in Chicago. It’s the only one remaining in the world, even though they made over 3000. They were a massive company, but before their time. In 1910 they made hybrids - they called them dual power.

This car is 78v - so it has 13 6v deep cycle batteries tar take up the front and rear of the car. Range New was quoted at 100 miles. I’ve done 75 miles without recharging.

7 Likes

Congratulations on finding something electric with equivalent clearance, headlamps and aerodynamics as a brand new Wrangler. :grin: My only problem with that beautiful vehicle is I could never find an appropriate hat for it that would also fit around my melon.

2 Likes

Wow! One of a kind! What an item. Obviously you have been a faithful caretaker. Congratulations!

Amazing piece of work it would be so amazing to build a Model to fit a power chair with all that brightwork and the parts mostly small enough to fit a Glowforge. All that would be needed after that was to have even a lithium battery to replace the Sulfur ones and perhaps get 30 miles out of them. which would be plenty for most useage,

The GF is used in the restoration / maintenance of all my old cars. Not usually as something that lands up in the car as that would not be original, but usually to make a tool or jig that allows me to then make a part on my mill.

If you like old cars, mine are here:

http://www.dansuskin.com/danni/Vintage_Cars.html

3 Likes

Wow! Wonderful collection. The only time I’ve seen cars like those is in the Forney transportation museum here in Denver. He has several one of a kind autos too. All original, down to the air in the tires.

1 Like

looking at OP “kiss gasoline goodbye” Bleh I would not be happy to kiss it anytime :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.