Hardware Idea: Air-jet head attachment

yeah that’s why i liked the hose idea might help by concentrating the CO2 at the source of the heat (like a welding envelope). The reason I was thinking about it was a video I saw with Adam Savage, he mentioned that all users of lasers have had to put out a fire at some point… Just wanted to add a possible safety feature.

sure, i just don’t think it’s going to work quite like you expect. you’d be just as good with high-speed normal air.

Its not about flooding the inside of the machine with CO2 only about lowering the O2 level. UL has classifications for burning, in my work we use UL94-V0 which is “Least likely to burn” as it typically is at a 28 to 32% O2 level (for us). By adding a smaller amount of CO2 (which is to be determined) I want to lower the level of 02. It is a balance between feed rate of CO2 and O2 level. That’s why a hose looked good.I can increase concentration of CO2 at the source of the heat like a welders envelope. I guess it would not have to be Co2 it could be some other gas but I think Co2 would be the cheapest, but I have not checked.

interesting question, but there are a lot of people who argue about that very subject, but if I remember correctly there are some specific frequency absorbed by CO2. I don’t have a power curve or frequency info on the Glowforge maybe someone with a machine can enlighten us. I know Jules has the power curve provided with a PRU.

1 Like

Oh I don’t know about that, might be like a blower in a forge…haha sorry coudn’t resist.

ahh, I was thinking about trying to maintain hypoxic air conditions, rather than an envelope or “constant extinguisher”.

That gif, though… I’m just gonna guess that hose is not being powered by a 20oz bottle, nor a 5- 10- or 20-lb bottle. More than likely it is a bank of large canisters… or a whole truck.

a49f4736d1082004c669a6e4adaf01fc

HighPressure_co2

Any firefighters on the forums?

3 Likes