Has anyone tried etching a photograph?

Has anyone tried etching a photograph on wood? Tips, examples, and advice would be appreciated.

Do a search for PHOTO and ENGRAVE and you’ll find a wealth of info! :blush:

Dots, not vary power. Sometimes better to aim lower as you can overlay the print again. Trial and error are your biggest friends.

Yes, there is a wealth of information about this here including a fair amount I’ve contributed. Be aware that right now we are pretty limited in size and complexity. There is a lot on getting around that here as well.

I got a couple of small test prints to work, but when I try the full size photo, it comes up with an error message. What am I doing wrong here?

Probably too big. If it won’t even load then you need to make it smaller. But if it loads but errors on the Print, try reducing the LPI to 225 or 270. The GF defaults to 450 which is a lot of data for it to handle (they’re working on it).

Largest I’ve been able to pull with a photo is between 8X10 and 10X12, and that took quite a few tries. Below 225 might error less on larger. The question of quality below a certain resolution might be the flip side. This should also improve as the software improves even more.