Having an alignment problem

As you can see in this image I am having an alignment issue. I seem to have this problem with anything I do. It happens no matter where the location of the cut/engrave is on the material. It happens with or without proofgrade material. I also did the camera recalibration and it still happens. It is not a huge deal on some jobs, but I have had instances where I am trying to engrave or cut on some preexisting object and that becomes impossible to do accurately.

I know this sounds condescending, but are you using “Set Focus”?

3 Likes

I have tried with and without. But it seems like it does the set focus itself before printing anyway? Also on proofgrade material shouldn’t it already be properly focused to the correct thickness?

It does a focus to check material height but when you use set focus you can tell it specifically where you want to focus for optimal camera alignment. It is always a good idea to set focus yourself. Also, due to it’s fisheye nature, the best camera alignment will always be directly under the lid camera with the far corners being least accurate.

It knows for cutting, but not for camera focus.

3 Likes

Ok. Well I have done it with and without the set focus. I also seem to have the alignment problem whether it is in the far corner or the center.

Specs are 1/4" and yours appears to be close to that, so it’s not likely support can help any further.

If you need more precision, suggest using a jig. Dozens of existing threads on that. I use scraps of shipping boxes all the time.

If I want to be spot on, I always use a jig. Only takes a little time to do that.

I will simply add that the placement tool can be used successfully in examples such as the one you shared. Note the coordinates of the center of the circle when you cut it, and without moving the material move your additional artwork to those coordinates.

Oh wow I didn’t realize the specs were actually that terrible. I swear it hasn’t always done this badly though. But lately it seems to be about 1/4 inch off always.

Very very few people have a spec that bad. When you ran the camera calibration, were your results better than this? Have you physically moved your machine (adjusted height, changed tables, etc.) since you did it? If yes, run it again. If no - and it was better, then it’s likely a focus issue. Let us know and it’ll help diagnose better.

2 Likes

Oh no, I’m sorry to hear about the trouble with your recent prints @cameronrothlisberger.

Since your prints are landing more than ¼” away from where they were positioned in the preview, I recommend recalibrating the camera in your Glowforge to fix it.

You’ll need a 12” x 20” piece of Proofgrade material with no markings or stickers. The feature was designed to be used with a flat piece of medium Proofgrade Draftboard, used upside-down (with the QR code side down). It may work with other materials that are the same size and use the same print settings as well, like Proofgrade plywood.

It prints a grid of markings, takes a picture, then measures its height in multiple locations. This data is used to make your camera more accurate for future prints.

To get started, click on this link: Launch the Camera Recalibrator. Should you finish all of these steps, and find that you have an alignment error of more than 1/4", please measure the accuracy of the camera and send us a screenshot of the results.

1 Like

I already tried recalibrating the camera.

Hi there @cameronrothlisberger

I see you’ve run a print since we last spoke, and alignment on that print looked great from what I can see on my end!

You mentioned you’d run the camera recalibrator, but it looks like it’s been some time since this was last run. It may be helpful to run this again, especially if the printer has been physically moved or relocated since the last calibration.

I ran a job last night, I actually didn’t even check how the alignment was, but didn’t notice an issue. The glowforge has not been moved an inch since the last time the calibration was run.

Thank you for updating us @cameronrothlisberger. I’m glad to hear the recent prints went well.

If the trouble returns, I’d recommend performing another Camera Recalibration.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.