Head bouncing on engrave

OK, went to use my Glowforge on a project I have been working on since the weekend. I’ve done four successful cuts of this and had one more tweak I was trying, and then disaster.

I started it up and went to work on another project while it engraved behind me (55 minutes). I kinda noticed it sounded weird (a kind of bounce at each end of each engrave line) so after about 30 minutes I went to check on it. The engrave was ALL SORTS of messed up.

I started it over again and early in the print I noticed a hole in the side of the laser head, where the little lens thing was supposed to be. I looked in my case and saw that lens off to the side of the case and then noticed that the engrave (which I thought was going well) was DEFINITELY not. It was doubling the image like double vision.

I shut everything down and pulled the head off and recovered the lens and screwed it back in. I was gonna give up for the night but then I decided to do a vastly scaled down version of the engrave and cut. Yeah that didn’t work either.

(It’s an engrave of the Death Star Schematic)

Not sure why the video isn’t showing up but it shows the bounce in action.

1 Like

Thanks for reaching out! Would you please:

1. Turn off your Glowforge
  2. Using both hands, gently move the laser arm towards you and away again.
  3. Gently slide the printer head all the way to one side and then the other.
  4. Let us know: when you took steps 2 and 3, did it move smoothly?
  5. Send us a photo of the lens that you’re referring to.
  6. Please hold off on printing again until you hear back from us. Thanks!
1 Like
  1. Turn off your Glowforge

Done. Never turned it back on.

1. Using both hands, gently move the laser arm towards you and away again.

Done

1. Gently slide the printer head all the way to one side and then the other.

Done

1. Let us know: when you took steps 2 and 3, did it move smoothly?

Yes. Seemed to move without any catches or resistance.

1. Send us a photo of the lens that you’re referring to.

1. Please hold off on printing again until you hear back from us. Thanks!

Easy. Seeing Last Jedi again tonight, so I won’t be getting a chance to print until Friday at the earliest (but I do have a ton of presents I need to make).

1 Like

Thanks for doing that.

Next, can you confirm that your wire ribbon is arranged in the laser arm like it is in this photo?

If not, remove the printer head and gently rearrange the wire ribbon so that it matches the photo. Then reattach the printer head.

After your wire ribbon arrangement matches the photo, print the Gift of Good Measure on the piece of Draftboard we provided in your starter materials for troubleshooting. Be sure to place the print on the far left side of the bed.

Let us know how it goes!

3 Likes

OK, we’re all good, and can call this thread solved.

One, my ribbon was not laying correctly. I thought it was and dozens of prints never caused a problem, but I have it laying correctly now.

Two, I cut the Gift of Good Measure on draftboard, no problems.

Three, I went back and cut my Death Star. Still had the double image problem I was having.

At this point I thought either the Flourescent Green Acrylic was the problem, or my .svg was. Since everything I do is perfect, I tested out the Death Star on normal acrylic. Still have the problem.

I had to admit that maybe there was something wrong with my file.

I mucked about with it and did another test cut with it (I was testing it at like 1" across not the 9" that the final product would be.) It cut fine.

In the end it was a bad .svg, but your troubleshooting steps did get me to get my ribbon installed correctly, so thanks for that, @jaz.

(Finished product since I know you’re curious)

10 Likes

That’s a nice Death Star. Where did you find the file? Most seem to have too much detail to engrave nicely.

I took Amazon’s cover to the Death Star technical manual and did a couple hours of tweaking on it in Photoshop.

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!