Head Calibration

@haqnmaq you will want to either start a new topic in this category so that the support team is sure to see it, or you can send them an email at support@glowforge.com .

While the head banging can happen once in a while if you have manually moved the head out of the starting position (like when cleaning) it shouldn’t happen every time. If you let support know they can perform some kind of magic on their end to fine tune it.

3 Likes

https://www.google.com/search?q=headbanging+gif&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=73d2Y3jwBTXl0M:

1 Like

@jaime Is your Glowforge directly under a bright light? If so, would you try altering the lighting conditions and let us know if that helps?

4 Likes

Thanks for looking into it. Right now it’s in my workshop and it is lit fairly well. I’m on holidays but once back I’m moving the Glowforge to its semi permanent place which definitely has no light shining directly on it. Will let you know how it goes.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I’m seeing calibration issues that sound…similar? on a brand new Basic unit delivered today. After a first test engraving, the head crashed repeatedly on the left side while trying to calibrate. After manually moving the head based on advice here, I sometimes hear clicking while the device says it’s trying to calibrate, but I haven’t seen the head move a single mm in the last 30 minutes. I’ve powercycled a few times when the UI told me to to no avail :confused:

3 Likes

Send support an email or start a new thread in Problems & Support. They get notified of new threads but not responses to existing ones.

2 Likes

Thanks. Already dropped them mail.

1 Like

Yep. Having experienced it myself, you’ve described it perfectly. It’s been weeks and we keep seeing this happen to more and more units. I’m a little surprised the issue hasn’t been isolated and resolved yet.

2 Likes

Ok, the lighting issue is interesting. The glowforge is under an 8 foot florescent fixture, it never occurred to me that bright light may interfere with the camera’s ability to see clearly for calibration.
I do recall reading that direct sunlight caused an issue with the trace function at a MF a while back - and I have noticed a reflection of the light fixture in the trace image that was problematic until I turned the shop light off.

I will either boot the machine with the room light off or put a piece of card stock on the lid to eliminate that possibility.

4 Likes

Is yours directly under the light? Mine is about 4 ft away from a pair of 1800 lumen led fixtures (flourescent tube style). I have been getting the failure to home thing more frequently lately (reported to support) and just do the center the head thing.

3 Likes

Yes, almost directly under the light.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll check what happens if I turn on the other lights further down the the room and turn the close ones off to see if that changes the homing behavior.

4 Likes

I was having the same banging on the left for the last 10 times straight. I turned off the overhead light and for the first time it calibrated normally. The light is about 6 feet above (perpendicular to the front edge of GF), two feet out from the front, and almost perfectly aligned with the left edge of the machine. Will repeat tomorrow.

5 Likes

I just repeated with the previous light off and illuminated by a 4 foot light parallel to GF, 6 feet up, 2 feet behind GF, which starts at the Y centerline of the bed and goes right. It too calibrated normally.

7 Likes

Ambient lighting issues is a good point that came up somewhere in the early PRU use, but didn’t really get much traction as a topic. I encountered it with sunlight in the room and glare from some lights that I set up to get some video of the Glowforge during use. I had some calibration issues and tracked it down to reflection of sunlight one time and then the bright lights another. Now I have blocked sunlight to where the Glowforge is and changed my ambient lighting to make it indirect.

6 Likes

I had a strange occurance tonight while calibrating. While still in the home position, I turned the unit on and heard a chattering/grinding noise. I turned it off and looked inside. The plate that magnetically holds the lens assembly was dangling as if being held by the belts only. Anyone see this before? I took pics and sent to support. I carefully removed the lens assembly to take the pic.
There were no obstructions.

5 Likes

If I’m seeing it correctly, it looks like the V-bearings came off the rail, and the assembly is just… laying there? That’s not very good… you need to create a separate thread if you want support to properly see this, or wait for their email response.

7 Likes

New one on me. The mechanism probably has one wheel, probably the rear that is spring loaded to the track and shouldn’t be difficult to reattach.
Leaving the question of what caused it… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I would think a collision with something most likely, unless the spring failed.

4 Likes

Last night, for the first time, when I turned on the Glowforge, I got that chattering and bumping thing. I just did the recommended ‘fix’ by rehoming. I am not immune.

3 Likes

You both might have accidentally slid the carriage off the rails when trying to manually move the head under the overhead camera. That’s not good.

• Contact support immediately.
  • Try sticking a cellphone in there to get a photo to send to them.
  • Hold off using the Glowforge until you hear back from them.
2 Likes