Head going forth and back on calibrate

Hey there!
I’ve a new… discovery since two days now.

After turning the machine on, the head will go center to calibrate. That’s what happens normally.

Last two days, some strange things happened while calibrating.

On the way to the center, the head went a few centimeters back on it’s route, then again towards center, back a bit, then to the center.
Now calibrating.
Then to the left (like normal). Up, down (like normal).
Going back to null (like normal) but on it’s way again the back and forth move.
Arriving at null.

While doing the “new move”, the button lights up white for a second, sometimes even orange.

Is this a new routine while calibrating or is something off?

Thanks!
Flo

Something is off.

Is the machine then printing OK? Support should be able to check the logs to see if there’s any indication of a problem.

Printing is fine and without the unusual.

It was a bit cold in my workshop lately, about 10-12 degree celsius. Maybe something about that?

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve been running into trouble! I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge, and it appears this behavior may be related to a lower than normal ambient/operating temperature being registered by your Glowforge.

Has this behavior continued to occur, or was it only during the cold you noticed in your workshop?

I also noticed that images your lid camera is taking are very dark. Are you noticing the LED lights on the lid activating when the lid is closed?

Hey Marc!
Thanks for your answer.

Today it was a bit warmer, nothing happened while calibrating.
I bought a heater yesterday so this problem will hopefully not occur again :wink:

For the light:
From the outside I can’t see any problems.
The picture sent to the app seems a bit dark, though, yes. I thought, this is the “normal”…? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Thank you for the update and for sharing a video. From what I can see in the video, it looks like the LED strips are working correctly. Will you please let me know if your bed images improve after cleaning them with a Zeiss wipe or similar lens wipe?

Hey there
I did that right after you said “isn’t it a bit dark…?”.
And I clean the lenses on a regular base, every two weeks or so.

Thank you so much for the details. I’m looking into it now. As soon as I have more information I’ll let you know.

I appreciate your patience as we reviewed the trouble you were experiencing with your Glowforge.

After the investigation we found that the Camera settings on your Glowforge could be adjusted to improve the “darker” bed image you are experiencing.

I would recommend utilizing more overhead light while printing to ensure that no additional snags occur due to the reduced light inside of your unit.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us directly at support@glowforge.com if you run into any more trouble. We’re here to help :slight_smile:

I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!