Heirloom cutting board - Scherenschnitte

Deleted

53 Likes

That is gorgeous but I just can’t wrap my mind around 7 hours. Lol. What are the measurements on the board?

4 Likes

Deleted

3 Likes

Wow this turned out amazing! That’s a really cool design.

4 Likes

Nice! I would not worry too much about a 7 hour engrave. If you think in terms of a 3D print of that size 7 hours is quick.

6 Likes

I love it. It’d fit right in at my in-laws’ 1800s farmhouse kitchen, which I’m often envious of.

4 Likes

Deleted

18 Likes

Looks like you nailed the positioning on the cutting board perfectly too. Very nice choice of design.

3 Likes

I might! It’d make a good holiday gift. You’re awesome :slight_smile:

4 Likes

What’s the resolution on that image?

At 650 lpi and 10x16” that’s about a 65 megapixel image. I am willing to bet that the original source is nowhere near that. I’d be very curious to see small samples of the image engraved at various lpi settings, I suspect that 650 was overkill.

2 Likes

Deleted

3 Likes

I wonder if they interpolate anything or if it’s just physics of burning. No real way to know because they’re not gonna tell us.

1 Like

Actually hmm did you use vary power? If so I think what you’re seeing is he antialiasing of the source image and it’s still rendering pixels, no interpolation. You can see it on the curves, looks like. The pattern looks exactly like a greyscale antialiased image.

3 Likes

Wow! I’ve always loved this style of illustration. I don’t know if it is, but I always think of it as Pennsylvania Dutch style.

3 Likes

One could go into Gimp enlarge it a play a bit. You can’t add detail but you can make the pixel messes smoother.

2 Likes

Deleted

3 Likes

Deleted

7 Likes

Having made a LOT of cutting boards for Christmas presents, first soak the board in mineral oil for about an hour, drain, wipe excess off, then finish with a bottle of mineral oil / bees wax combination. Can find that on Amazon and really works well to protect the board.

Then remind, remind, remind, remind the owner to never put it in the dishwasher and coat it with oil about once a week.

9 Likes

Deleted

2 Likes

@Deleted, that is absolutely beautiful!

@mrinken, I make our own cutting board oil using just that - beeswax (helps having our own bees!) and mineral oil. Especially when I found that even the “food grade” cutting board oils you buy in the store also had some sort of petroleum product listed in the ingredients. Which is another thing, totally off the subject, sorry - there is no such thing as “organic honey.” Unless a beekeeper lives within the middle of a 9-mile area with no one in the area, you can’t claim organic, as even if the beekeeper doesn’t use pesticides, bees themselves will go up to 8 miles to collect pollen and nectar, so if a neighbor uses it at their house or business, it’s no longer organic. You just can’t determine where a bee will go, unless you’re a scientist who has actually put a microchip on one and track it (which is how they found they will go up to 8 miles away; they used to just say 5 miles). Just a little public service announcement. :honeybee: :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes