Help Lid Open Error (with Lid Closed), and I owe somone an order ! (Yikes)

This evening when I trying to finish a project i opened the lid (lights come on as they are supposed to), and placed my material and closed the lid, and the app says the lid is still open. (LID OPEN)

We tried turning the machine off then back on
Took out the crumb tray, and cleaned out any crumbs and little bits of stuff
there is nothing blocking either lid (top or front)
removed a small bit of masking tape, but that didn’t do anything, cycled power again (no, joy).
Checked all the lid connectors and clips as was mentioned in a previous post , the clips all look fine, and i can’t see any cable disconnected. (see pictures uploaded below).

I am not sure what else to do…and need to get our glowforge back up and running ASAP

Stack some book on top and see if that does not allow you to laser up.
Check to see if the lower panel is closed tight also.

This is, IMO, a design flaw. The ribbon cable is drawn tight against the edge of the aluminum bar that runs behind it. Over time, that can wear through the insulation causing shorts, and/or the conductor causing open-circuit failures. On my GF, I avoid opening the lid all the way, and I put some teflon tape behind the cable where it’s drawn over the sharp edge.

Since the failure occurred immediately after you opened the lid, assuming nothing got knocked or pulled loose, odds are that the problem is the backside of the cable, that you can’t see, and you need a new cable. :frowning:

The other night mine was open a bit too and wouldn’t power up. Come to realize my crumb tray was sticking out just a hair and the front door hadn’t closed all the way leaving the lid ajar a bit.

Thanks we tried that this morning, with a bunch of heavy books, no joy, same “lid open” error :frowning:

Thanks for the feedback here, I wish we would have been aware if opening the lid all of the way can cause wear on that cable. I am hoping to hear from support and maybe get a new cable ordered, if that can get us working again !

Good call on the crumb tray, we pulled the crumb tray totally out to rule that out as a possibility. we have been troubleshooting without the crumb tray for now.

I’m so sorry to hear you’re having problems with your Glowforge saying the lid is opem. Could you do the following for me?

1. Power off your Glowforge

2. Open the lid and front door of your Glowforge

3. Remove your crumb tray

4. Check for and remove any debris that may prevent the front door from closing properly, particularly the area underneath the front door

5. Close the front door and lid

6. Power your Glowforge back on

7. If you’re still receiving the Lid Open message without the crumb tray installed, please take a look at the following photos and let me know anything looks different. If you see anything that looks different, please take a picture and send it to us. Also, if the lights on the lid of your Glowforge are not lighting up, please let me know.

​ ​

​ ​

David,

Thanks for reposting this info. I followed these steps last night from another post that i found regarding about the same issue. I redid all of the mentioned steps and nothing looks different from your provided photos. The Lid lights do still work and come on.

Why is the gantry near the front of your machine?

It should be at the rear, with the head on the left side, when the machine is idle.

It won’t reset if the lid is being sensed as open, but why is it there in the first place?

We slid it gently forward when we were getting photos of the back connector that sits behind it for the lid cable. We just hadn’t gently slid it back into position yet after taking that picture. Thanks for the comments…hoping we can figure something out

Looks pretty much like you’re going to need to replace that lid cable. Support will confirm, and arrange getting one to you (or point you to the store if you’re no longer under warranty…)

Hi @albi.sarah,

I see you also emailed us about this and I’ve just responded to you there. To avoid duplication, I’m going to close this topic.