Help me hold on!

“If I see another hand drawn acrylic refrigerator/desktop souvenir…” made me laugh!

My wi9fe is excited. I’m excitged. Laser Made ideas, learning the works of the trade before the machine arrives. they’re keeping me busy. oh and getting my work room ready…

I encourage all the basic forum members to keep participating and earn those badges. There are some pleasant surprises awaiting you when you become a “regular” member. Not that there is anything shared that isn’t on the open forum from Glowforge, just a level of trust and community in some good threads that will make the wait sweeter.

1 Like

Just take this time to design as much as possible so when the day comes and that box shows up on your doorstep you have a pile of things to make.

It think i already have about 20 projects lined up. although since i cant test any of them who knows how well they will print.

hang in there and keep designing.

2 Likes

i think that the more will cancel their pre-order, the faster i’ll receive my so-long-waited GF. This is the most effective way I’ve found to hold on! :smile:.
In the meanwhile i’m learning to work with Illustrator and collecting ideas on Pinterest

I’ll be lucky if i’ll receive my GF on August… :cry:

2 Likes

I’ve just got my slowly expanding list of, “Hey, you could try this!” on my phone. All in due time! There’s plenty of planning and idea generating to be done ahead of time so that, as they say in the Navy, “You can hit the deck plates running”

Of course it helps that I’ve wanted the capabilities of a GF since I first saw a light saber in Star Wars, circa '1977. Now this will be my CNC-controlled light saber. Jedi training consists of building a library of nifty “things to be cut” with various tools. Illustrator – check. Fusion 360 – learning and exploration underway!

All in due time. There’s plenty to be done between now and arrival day!

1 Like

A good way to both prepare (learning the whole laser engraving/cutting process) and keep the mojo flowing is to see if you can join a makerspace with a laser. I have my own K40 (small 40W 8x14 bed) but I also spend a fair amount of time at the makerspace on their 60W 18x24 bed laser. That way the only thing that will change when my GF comes in is that the laser software will change and I won’t have to leave the garage for larger cuts :slightly_smiling:

The hand drawn gimmick is for the least interesting feature of the glowforge for me.

I understand the frustration @marmak3261, we are all perched on the edge of our patience.

I think the little acrylic samples handed out at demos effectively illustrate the “trace” ability of the Glowforge, one of the biggest innovations IMHO - and make the unit easiest to use, which is why I would feature it in a demo setting.
Not necessary to line up exactly with point of origin or set the point, just drop it in and scan. You don’t have to be a wizard with software to produce something.

The innovations of the Glowforge along with the reduced price enable a greater level of adoption by the uninitiated public, reminesent of what Henry did for the Ford. Allow the general public to participate instead of only corporations or the wealthy.

Once we take delivery, this place is going to experience an avalanche of creative expression, where we can all feed from one another’s input.
Until then, we must endure.

Not sure what the threshold is for the “regular” badge, but I will continue to live here and learn from user’s input. Thanks for that!

2 Likes

@printolaser hope this helps

https://meta.discourse.org/t/what-do-user-trust-levels-do/4924/5

3 Likes

So far reading the forum here and Brain storming ideas is keeping me going! And yes to me the money is already gone so it will seem free haha which makes me wonder what I put on my taxes hmmmm!

Can’t wait! :slight_smile:

Go ahead. Bail. That just puts the rest of us one tick closer to one of the most anticipated product delivery days I could ever imagine. Of course I am using a bit of crude reverse psychology, of which I have zero credentials to employ.
I also almost decided to cancel and try to save the 18k to purchase the only comparable model currently on the market. Then I remembered the benefits of this product; mainly the tactile user interface. How elegant it appears. You don’t have to design on a computer if you don’t want. This is amazing. In my studio currently there is more waste than I can handle. The Glowforge will actually reduce waste because there is the ability to throw scraps in and get sellable and or usable pieces and parts out. No aligning. No glueing pieces down to cut. It’s going to pay for itself probably in less than 6 months. That is my hope at least.

2 Likes

Thank you Sir!
As it happens, that badge arrived this morning…

3 Likes

I always expected it to be delivered around Summer. Not particularly disappointed or surprised it ended up that way. The way I look at it is that it doesn’t stop me from designing things. I may not be able to print them or make money from the GF until I get it, but I can at least get ready. When my Glowforge arrives, i’m putting it to work right away. The main project I have in mind (revolving around a Raspberry Pi and a ton of sensors to give you an idea) is at least 70% software design work anyway.

1 Like

OH and go to you settings and set your title to regular so you may gloat and parade amongst the plebs. And say hi in the regulars forum.

To be honest, I’m trying to forget about the glowforge, then one day it will just show up at my door. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t you think if we can imagine all day long our far stretched networks we can imagine a 3d objected created from flat material?

And hey if we can work out that CLI we can work out the vector thingy :slight_smile:

There was a time I was not sure why I order the GF other than it looked cool and I wanted a laser cutter to go with my new x-carve router. Then I got a china laser and was going to cancel the GF. I find I can make a lot of things on the laser. But the GF still has a place in my collection of tools. mainly because it can be made to be portable. This would give me the avaliblity to create things on the big units an personalize them on location. :sunglasses: so cool.

my work table for the GF arrived. put it up in a night. Not easy to do with an injured shoulder… will take pix and put in the topic that shows off our workspaces when i get the place cleaned up/. too much baby toys lingering >.<

1 Like

Is there any way we are able to see the catalogue before we get our GFs? I don’t know how many times I have watched the GF video. Not a creative type but seeing other people’s ideas sets my mind a-racin’!

1 Like