Help with engraving Ceramic Soap Dish

Hello fellow Glowforgers,

I have an inquiry about engraving on a ceramic soap dish I purchased. soap dish

I’ve removed the crumb tray and have set the dish on something to raise it so that I can get it focused. Set Focusing works fine. After clicking Print, I receive this message about Material Thickness - Your material must be less than 0.5” tall with the tray in, or between 1.5” and 2” with the tray out.

I’ve tried adding boards to help raise the dish, subtracting boards, added the crumb tray back, tried manually focusing on the material, etc. I keep getting the same message every time I hit the Print button.

Is the GF not able to engrave on this dish? I’m open to any suggestions that are offered.

Thank you in advance for your time and suggestions.

How deep is the dish?

If it’s anything over 0.5" it’ll be tricky, if it’s more than 0.6" you’re a bit out of luck.

3 Likes

The focus range of the lens is 1/2". As stated already, if the bottom of the dish is more than 1/2" below the top of the lip, the Glowforge will not be able to focus on the bottom and still clear the lip when it moves into position.

3 Likes

@evansd2 I’ll measure it and see, thank you for the tip about the 0.6".

You can also set the focal height manually, and having engraves be a little “blurry” makes them look better in my opinion.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.