Help with Inkscape fill for engrave please!

I can’t for anything remember how in Inkscape to convert a paint bucket ‘fill’ to something that the GFUI will read for engraving. I filled a section, selected it (it says it’s a path with 10 nodes) then Menu/Path/Stroke to Path, now it’s a path with 42 nodes, and is now just an outline. Here’s the test design, the red section works but I did 15 things to it and can’t possibly repeat it, green section does not show in GFUI but both list as paths, so that it thoroughly confusing, how is this done on purpose? Thanks much!
fill test

Paint bucket fills aren’t filled shapes, which is what the GF needs.

What you need to do is select your various paths and then set a fill color on them.

https://inkscape.org/doc/tutorials/basic/tutorial-basic.html

2 Likes

are you trying the engrave the red outline around the green inner part and the green?

I pulled your SVG into GFUI and the “green” sections are there, they just show as outlines because the UI interpreted the path as a cut, since those “green” sections also have a red stroke color in addition to the green fill. Your red section only has the fill color, no stroke color. So you can change that to engrave in the UI and it should be fine.

So your method for doing the paint dump and selecting that resultant area and doing a ‘stroke to path’ on it is fine. You just need to make the resultant path’s stroke colorless and give it a fill color.

2 Likes

That’s what worked thanks, I kept thinking I had to do something from the top menu, it was just Stroke/none, fill/color.
-=®=-

1 Like

Awesome! Have fun!

I was trying to get the method of filling a shape then converting the fill to something the GFUI would recognize, I have it now.

1 Like

The paint bucket in inkscape is really strange. It isn’t as crisp as filling a vector, it’s an approximation that it made more or less accurate depending on your zoom level. Something to keep in mind if you want to keep using it instead of the more precise (and unfortunately time consuming) Boolean Path manipulation route.

I can see a use case for both but booleans are so natural to me now that I’d never give up the precision.

2 Likes

I found that if I make the outlining paths really thin like .02 pixels before filling, the fill will be really precise, then I widen more again so I can see them.

Today I discovered that if I zoom in as far as I can without the border of what I want to fill is going outside of the drawing/viewing area, it fills very precise, if I zoom in farther and the border goes outside the drawing/viewing area, that part does not fill, 2 bugs in the app in my opinion.

That’s what I was saying about the paint bucket. Use filled shapes instead.

I already did:

You are specifically after the “fill and stroke” section.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.