Highly Irresponsible (read entertaining) Use of a Laser

This reminds me of two of the best shirts I saw at Maker Faire:
“Void your warranty” and “Caution Flammable. Challenge Accepted.”

6 Likes

Looks like I know what I’m gonna do when I don’t want my GF anymore (well… When version 2 comes out ha-ha)

3 Likes

Wait a minute, did he just destroy a tetris NES cartridge?

1 Like

All I could think was,
“No safety glasses, no fire extinguisher, damn I’m glad I don’t live in this apt. complex”

15 Likes

Smirnoff and JD, why does that seem so right? :anger_right:

2 Likes

Seemed like a candidate for one of those “look at this” last words epitaphs :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Were you as conflicted as I was about that?

4 Likes

Sacrilege!

2 Likes

Yeah! No amount of blowing in it is going to get it play now…

2 Likes

That sound you heard wasn’t a bottle cracking, it was 10,000 landlords adding a no laser clause to their lease agreements.
And one over-insured landlord contacting this guy to see if he’d like an apartment cheap.

6 Likes

it looked like it was already partially destroyed… hopefully he at least pulled the board out.

1 Like

I’m imagining landlords in college towns having a box that asks tenants to declare their major. “Applied Physics - additional deposit required.”

There was a great story about two guys who got an apartment with utilities included and quickly proceeded to set up a bitcoin mining operation in their closet. The landlord was a little suspicious when the power bill went up 10x.

1 Like

With optics can reach 100 miles range?? Seriously??!!

4 Likes

yeah, and then he couldn’t get it to focus on a bottle 2" from the muzzle. 100 miles. Yeah, I believe that. :grinning:

4 Likes

Hmmm, I haven’t given my tenants a new lease yet… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

With my magic “thought enhancer” you can destroy any living entity within a million galaxy radius
edit: and yes, the selection of an ever-changing-and-completely-impossible-to-accurately-quantify-and-standardize unit of measurement was "purpose"ful lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Sounds like a Kickstarter. I’d back it. :wink:

2 Likes

Only if he is “firing” from a height of 7000 feet, or so, with an unobstructed view of the Earth’s surface or at something approximately 7000 feet in the air.

It is kind of interesting that a “low earth orbit” is about 100 miles!

Last but not least, I wonder how attenuated the laser output would be after passing through 100 miles of atmosphere, or just going straight up for 100 miles?

Note: I did start looking it up but the number of variables involved beat me down

2 Likes

Since energy/matter cannot be destroyed, in some sense you could say (and this is for @smcgathyfay and her daughter) the range is to infinity and beyond.

Some loss of focus at those distances is to be expected, aka a really wide kerf.

6 Likes

“At 100 miles, it’s more effective as a really bad flashlight”

3 Likes