Holy crap. pixels made of wood

27 Likes

My mind is blown!

2 Likes

I want this program!

3 Likes

the one thing they don’t show: how the **** do you know which piece of wood to remove from the “palette” of wood after it’s cut goes where in the photo? do they engrave tiny numbers?? and imagine how long it takes to take all of those and reassemble.

still, it’s just amazingly beautiful.

6 Likes

Dang, I love living in the future!

5 Likes

Yeah that would be one hell of a puzzle to put together.

3 Likes

The original paper, art gallery, and presentation video from the authors: https://light.informatik.uni-bonn.de/computational-parquetry-fabricated-style-transfer-with-wood-pixels/

6 Likes

For the computational assistance I agree, a lot easier now. The results remind me of Greek and Roman mosaic murals that were as good 2,000 years ago.

4 Likes

That was exactly what I was thinking the whole time. Definitely would have my kids doing that part!

I’ve always wanted to make a digital mosaic photo out of multiple photos which is similar to this concept. Anyone familiar of a (reasonable) program to do this?

Given where it is headed i am not so sure. Some of the tech is nice but for most I don’t think the children will live as well as the parents for several generations unless there is a really huge change that would be making a huge mess itself.

1 Like

Check out

2 Likes

I really want that program, but I am thinking assembly would be maddening.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.