Home automation and surveillance systems

So is it just me living under a rock or did everyone else know this?

The company (Amazon) also released another video doorbell, this time under its Blink brand.

1 Like

Possibly.

My lights and AC change based on when I get within a certain distance from home. I can (and have) control them the other side of the planet.

My main door can also unlock automatically when I pull into the driveway, but I have that disabled.

Another cool thing I have is a ā€œfake tvā€ - it projects colored LEDs randomly that looks like thereā€™s a TV on. I have that on a timer when Iā€™m away.

ā€¦ and, yeah, plenty of cameras that record to the cloud. Caught some fun stuff outsideā€¦

5 Likes

Didnā€™t realize Amazon owned Blinkā€¦

1 Like

i think they bought bink a couple of years ago. i know i have two blink cameras that were amazon add ins for $5 on a couple of purchases i made.

for doorbells/security cams, i prefer my eufy cams. not reliant on cloud storage (they have a base station w/16gb of storage), donā€™t have to worry about eufy handing over my data, and i can still access them from anywhere.

moi aussi. i like this feature a lot.

i like this, what do you use to do this? is it a custom built or something off-the-shelf?

2 Likes

I bought a new echo show recently and got a free blinkā€¦didnā€™t make the connection :roll_eyes:. We have some fake cameras outside that are battery operated to have a red light making them look ā€˜onā€™. We also have a couple of the Rings-one a shot of the drive/yard, and a doorbell. Those work great too.

3 Likes

I have several Wemo mini outlets and use those to control the stuff that isnā€™t already automated (all my lights are Hue, for exampleā€¦)

3 Likes

i have a few wemos, but at this point any lights that i automate are hue bulbs. i prefer keeping all the lights in the same system, less hassle to set up / control.

but that looks good. if we ever go on a vacation again iā€™ll snag one for the bedroom.

I donā€™t spend a lot of time making dashboards because I mostly control things with buttons and voice commands. But I try to keep this one as an overview.

3 Likes

I have 50/50 hue and wemo and they all operate together seamlessly. I have many lights where hue was simply not an option - many ā€œdecorativeā€ bulbs that provide nice accent lighting.

My living room and kitchen slowly turn to a warm red glow at night.

My GF inline fan is on a wemo, Alexa turns it on and off by command, for example. Itā€™s running now, to draw cooler, dry air thru the house while the doors to my deck are wide open.

Realized I contradicted myself.

All the lights that are capable are hue. Strips across the top of kitchen cabinets, every ā€œregularā€ bulb, etc. I even changed out my over-sink fixture to accept a regular bulb, so I could have a little light there in the middle of the night.

I have a fair number of the old fashioned ā€œedison bulbā€ style LED fixtures around the house, that are obviously not ā€œhue capableā€ - all those are on wemo-controlled outlets.

i have my GF and inline fan on a geeni strip. that letā€™s me turn them on from anywhere (and it has 4 more outlets which i use in my office for hands-free turning on of the ring light and a couple of other low-poer things that have hard-to-reach switches).

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure how something like this goes if/when you sell the house? Are you going to take it mostly with you? The last house my mom bought - a nightmare just to get the thermostat ownership transferred over. I forget the brand, but easier to just go spend the couple hundred on a new one.

1 Like

Sell the house? Not happening in my future.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.