Hot foil stamp

It turns out that Eco Thin acrylic (about 1/16” thick) makes a pretty good hot foil stamp, if you happen to have one of the hot foil machines made specially for card makers. (The ones for professional use might get too hot). The design was done in Magic Canvas.

Automatic

Technical info for card making nerds: I used a Glimmer hot foil machine from Spellbinders. Since the 1/16” acrylic is a little thicker than a standard hot foil plate, I used a B plate from my diecutting machine in place of the clear Glimmer spacer plate.

Tagging @johnbrooker as he was enquiring about hot foil a few years back.

45 Likes

This is very cool. I tried to Google around and find out more about this machine but it’s not exactly clear. Can you give a simple English description of how the thing works?

10 Likes

These hot foil machines for card makers all work pretty much the same way. You need several things: dies with various patterns (usually made of metal), the hot foil machine (a heated platform that heats the die), and a diecutting machine to apply the pressure needed to transfer the gold from the Mylar sheet to the card stock.

Stepwise, it goes like this:

1. Start heating the platform.
  2. When the ready light comes on, place the die (pretty side up) on the platform, then the foil (pretty side down, facing the die), then the card stock, then the spacer plates plus any card stock shims needed to get optimum transfer (a process of trial and error).
  3. Turn on the timer. When the second ready light comes on, transfer the whole assembly (shims and all) to the die cutting machine. There you will turn the crank and run the assembly through to apply the pressure needed to transfer the foil.
  4. Peel off foil carrier sheet, leaving the pattern that was in the die, transferred to the card stock with foil. Often you can use the negative piece of foil to make a second card by using a large blank die.
16 Likes

Interesting! I wonder if it could be done with an iron? or would it take more force?

8 Likes

OMG. This is amazing and adorable and so pawsome. Sorry for the cat pun!

11 Likes

Looks amazing

7 Likes

That’s neat. Can you also transfer to wood instead of paper?

9 Likes

Very pretty! Thanks for the write-up.

7 Likes

You always think outside the box! Fabulous!

6 Likes

Interesting! Lots of potential here…

6 Likes

That turned out beautiful!

5 Likes