How about some development news?

I thought so too at first. But the bracket is just hanging out into space off the tube gantry. Doesn’t touch the ribbon cable or connector.

OK, looks like nobody could find an opposite angle, so I’ll fill you in.

First, that is indeed our custom tube - we believe the final iteration, although we’ve only been using it for a couple of weeks so we’re early in testing. So far, it’s been meeting or exceeding our performance numbers.

Second, the bracket is a temporary hack to keep the ribbon cable from snagging on the camera. It’s actually a bracket to hold one of the roller wheels to the carriage that was repurposed. Nice catch.

But there’s one big change that hasn’t been spotted yet. I checked twitter to see if you all have been slacking, but I have to admit it’s pretty hard to spot.

The CESforge has our new permanently aligned and sealed optics. They have been performing brilliantly, requiring zero maintenance or alignment after shipping. For those of you who’ve aligned lasers before, you know how awesome this is - it’s one of my favorite innovations. Possibly because, prior to installing it, I was the one who had to align every machine by hand. #CEOlife

16 Likes

Oh, that alignment is HUGE!!! So exciting! Thanks for pushing for excellence!

Cool. Even knowing what I was looking for I couldn’t find an angle in online pics or videos that showed the sealed optical path other than those on the head itself. Not sure how the permanent alignment works. Understand the sealed optics, but alignment? FEDEX could warp a bowling ball. I’ll accept their claim though and it sounds great to me.

2 Likes

This video on aligning a laser cutter from Suburban Tool caught my attention a while back. If GF’s design eliminates the need for this sort of maintenance, then that should be a major selling point.

3 Likes

Hahaha! Warp a Bowling ball! Whew…Best laugh of the day so far.

Permanent alignment? Be still my beating heart!

6 Likes

Spoken like someone who has invested days aligning mirrors on a room full of lasers… Your collection is impressive.

1 Like

Have to say, when that guy says “the alignment is good on this one”, I was like WHAT?, are you kidding me?
Someone needs to go study optics a little. That is WAY off!!

1 Like