How does the catalog handle a failed print?

I’m probably not normal. Wouldn’t pay 5 cents for a one shot design. Doesn’t satisfy my sense of ownership. But would pay $20 for something nice that gives me a limited personal license.

8 Likes

I could see wanting to either buy (or sell) one-time art prints. The Glowforge would know it was a one-time print, so maybe it could fire the camera after printing and be able to confirm success.

4 Likes

I don’t expect to buy from the catalog often. I plan to create most of my own designs. When I do print from the catalog, I’m assuming it will be for a one-off product that is better than something I could design in a reasonable amount of time (maybe a nice leather wallet). I’m likely to want to customize the design (maybe adding an image etched onto it). But I’m likely to only want one or two of them. Others’ use cases will be different.

2 Likes

Or if it looks ok from the cam view but theres a minor defect that picky people like myself arent happy with! I know ive tossed things over even the smallest imperfections, like a little bit of flashback

2 Likes

I’m not sure of the wisdom of having single and multi use licenses. I did at first but then the thought struck me that it would be fairly easy to take what you just cut out for a single use to a scanner and scan yourself a copy and upload that PDF back in as your own design and then you have unlimited prints which should have cost you $20 but you paid $1 for a single print. Flag this into oblivion if I’m giving nefarious ideas to those who would do no good, but as a designer I’d rather not have someone cheat me or GF.

8 Likes

I actually had the same thought.

4 Likes

I doubt anybody that would do it needs our help in coming up with the idea…

5 Likes

If GF wanted to police the catalog, they could do so fairly easily – All the non-catalog prints go through their servers too.

It certainly lessens anything that Glowforge would give us concerning the Design Catalog concerning how late they have been, now we are finding out that “proofgrade” materials are 5 times more expensive that items that are for sale elsewhere, but those prices are in “beta” and could change, what are the chances they will go down? Are those promised free designs from the video, you know when you promised them after you delayed again, are those one offs? It’s starting to feel like the stuff GF promised when they delay is not going to add up to much.

I don’t think 5x is where proof grade is for the pricepoint. I don’t even think it’s at 2x, but we don’t know because like you said everything is in beta currently. As with so many things there’s a spread and you pay for quality and you pay for cuts. You can find stuff dirt cheap full of knots and pine sap dripping out the sides, and you’ll save a fortune. If the hassle of that knotty sappy wood is worth the money you saved that’s awesome. Some people though will want as much of a “drop board in hit glowing button pull out something beautiful don’t bother me with the magic” experience as they can get so proofgrade will be a worth while investment. I think a majority of us will fall somewhere between the two extremes. Everything I’ve seen so far on proofgrade has been stunning and a little premium for the highest quality ply is going to be worth it in my opinion. This won’t stop me from going scrap heap diving at the local plastics place

7 Likes

I thought the same thing. Would take a bit of cleanup to do it though as it would be a copy of a copy kind of thing. So I don’t know that it would be worth that effort. Although I suppose it would make a good starting point for people to rip off designs. I dunno… Is it a big deal if that even happens? I honestly have no way to answer that question.

Your right it’s only 30 to 40% more, still though in “beta”

2 Likes

Well. Let’s say you do something cool. Takes you 2 months to polish out and get all the things wo they print just right. You put it in the catalogue for $20. Nefarious Ned loves it so much that he swipes your design. Changes a couple things. Puts it to the catalogue claiming it’s his work for $15. He spent 3 hours ripping you off. People see they are similar and buy his instead cause it’s cheaper. Assuming someone is curating the catalogue and can see that the two things are similar then maybe they could stop it. But then maybe nefarious Ned just rips your design and heads to etsy to hawk your wares. It’s all very hypothetical but people take a lot of pride in what they came up with

3 Likes

If it’s competitive with inventables then I think that’s about what they promised and I’d say stick to sourcing from as many different places as your wallet will allow

1 Like

Sorry. I misspoke. I didn’t mean to imply that people who work hard shouldn’t get what they deserve. My actual thinking was… How often will it happen, if at all? Will it “really” be a problem.

2 Likes

Ah, fair point then. Who knows only time will tell.

1 Like

misses the point of what I was saying, in that it’s not that I doubt the GF proofgrade material is nice stuff, but the value of what they promised us when they delayed seems to be disappearing

Like the $150 materials pack? If it’s 30-40% less than you expected I guess the best I’ve got to say is it still cost you nothing but patience. We would have to have Dan weigh in on how many times we can use the free designs but I guess optimism says that giving them to us means unlimited prints. Worst case there’s one you like and you use some of the $50 design catalogue coupon you’re getting. At the end of the day though… personally it’s all a gift for our patience and I’m greatful that they cared enough to do anything what does it matter if you get a couple less boards and only one print of the doll house? Anything else is looking the gift horse in the mouth

4 Likes

Dude, did I offend you somehow? Yah, sorry that the “freebies” they offered to us are looking less impressive than they did when they offered them to us, and that is my opinion. You just seem to want to argue, and it seems like it is with everyone.

1 Like

No not at all, just adding my perspective in. Wasn’t trying to start an argument, my apologies

2 Likes