How does your garden grow?

I haven’t been online too much in recent weeks. I found this new program called “Outdoors.” You should check it out. The graphics are amazing!

So last year about this time I busted up some concrete to plant grapes and roses. Despite a run in with a crackhead last August they are coming in quite nicely this year.

I’m pruning 100 or more spent rose blooms a week.

So it was time to break out the jackhammer for round two. This section I finish a few weeks ago.

It has a couple more grapes and a rose. It is then filled with a variety of edible things: boysenberries, pomegranate, pink lemonade blueberries, raspberries, peaches, and an unkown variety of red grape. Half of the previous grapes are Thompson seedless and half are red flame.

Last week I finished up this section.

It has a Concord grape vine, two pineapple guavas, a Carolina jasmine and a star jasmine.

Before I finished those beds I made some raised planters on the side of the house. I put five tons of planter mix in the rose beds and I needed somewhere to put all the dirt I dug up. It turns out the soil under the concrete wasn’t that bad. So the raised beds were born.

You can see a potato plant poking up there.

They’ve been planted with a random mix of vegetables - potatoes, onions, green beans, a strange Asian red bean, sun flowers, radishes, cucumbers, cosmic purple carrots, jalapeños, habaneros, yellow bell peppers, and sweet peas. The potatoes were from supermarket red potatoes that had sprouted. Never having grown potatoes before I wanted to see how they were doing. The flowers had dropped from the fist plant to sprout so based on reading it should be ready to harvest some new potatoes. I nervously dug up the plant…

And found a handful of potatoes from the size of a large pea to a bit bigger than a golf ball. I picked my first jalapeño and fried them up.

They went well with a glass of rye whiskey.

The garden has been growing well but so far no substantial harvest. Soon…

26 Likes

Now to spend some time with the Glowforge. :yum:

1 Like

Nice! I’ll have zucchini’s before too long.

4 Likes

Awesome. No zucchini here, it isn’t one of my favorites. I did stretch out two cucumber vines today so that they don’t try and strangle the other plants. There were more than a few blossoms.

I planted the beds a bit too dense but I’ll make the most out of it. :blush:

2 Likes

I love zucchini (and how many ways I can cook it) - but can’t stand cucumbers. And I only seem to have the best luck with zucchini’s lol. Everything else (except herbs - picking fresh basil is amazing) is hit or miss, or I can’t plant enough to make it viable enough for the room it takes and yield (green beans, etc).

I am very hands off with my garden though; I drip-irrigate it on a scheduler and pick the veggies. That’s about it.

That’s my MO too. This year I changed the drip lines for soaker hoses. I was having too much trouble with the drip connectors popping off.

Last August I had a crackhead try and steal my irrigation timer just before I left town for Burning Man. When I came back there wasn’t a single leaf left on any rose or grape. Amazingly they started putting out new leaves when I restored the water. Out of ten grapes and twelve roses I only lost two of each.

Last year’s plants are thriving this year. I can’t wait for the new beds to get established.

For herbs I just walked back in from planing lemongrass, chives, peppermint, and marjoram. That adds to the purple basil, lemon thyme, and garden sage planted about a month ago.

1 Like

Wow, I am so envious of my friends in warmer climates. I’ve been spending tons of time in the garden (per usual) but it’s mostly just prep work at this point. Have my cold hardy stuff in, but at least another week or two before our last frost, when I can really start planting stuff out.

My seedlings are still teensy.

(that pic is from last week, but still gives a decent idea of the difference that I’m trying to describe here :wink: )

4 Likes

We’ll pay for it soon enough. It won’t be long before the thermometer hits 115.

Last winter was so mild my roses didn’t go dormant. I finally had to just go ahead and prune them anyway. Then when I planted a dwarf peach tree we had a hard freeze about a week later. Go figure.

With as big as some of the plants are getting I actually got a late start on some of the. I have another raised bed to build so that one will be really late or just for a fall planting. The only solid plan I have for it is to plant some pie pumpkins later in the summer for a holiday harvest. I make my own pumpkin pies but I’ve never grown the before.

3 Likes

Maybe a nice “No Crackheads” sign by the plants.

2 Likes

You need not be Schisandra vine loves the cold climates, and you can set up a year-round garden in the house as well.

Nice! I finally had time to work on our flower bed this weekend. My next plan is to make a raised garden bed in our back yard. And to rip up the bush we have in our front yard!

I’ll take some pictures when I get home today.

What is this “outdoors” that you speak of? Is it safe? I hear it is quite bright out there. And the fresh air? You never know who else has been breathing that stuff. And without any roof over you, surely you may just find yourself floating away.

3 Likes

Remember, anything you smell is particles of that smell producing thing entering your nose…like roadkill, dead things in the woods, mold, dog poo…

:grinning:

4 Likes

Safe? Not too sure about that. There’s stuff spraying all over today. I wasn’t sure what it was so I looked it up and found out that it’s di-hydrogen monoxide. Pretty scary stuff. At least it only happens a couple of time a year.

4 Likes