I haven’t been online too much in recent weeks. I found this new program called “Outdoors.” You should check it out. The graphics are amazing!
So last year about this time I busted up some concrete to plant grapes and roses. Despite a run in with a crackhead last August they are coming in quite nicely this year.
I’m pruning 100 or more spent rose blooms a week.
So it was time to break out the jackhammer for round two. This section I finish a few weeks ago.
It has a couple more grapes and a rose. It is then filled with a variety of edible things: boysenberries, pomegranate, pink lemonade blueberries, raspberries, peaches, and an unkown variety of red grape. Half of the previous grapes are Thompson seedless and half are red flame.
Last week I finished up this section.
It has a Concord grape vine, two pineapple guavas, a Carolina jasmine and a star jasmine.
Before I finished those beds I made some raised planters on the side of the house. I put five tons of planter mix in the rose beds and I needed somewhere to put all the dirt I dug up. It turns out the soil under the concrete wasn’t that bad. So the raised beds were born.
You can see a potato plant poking up there.
They’ve been planted with a random mix of vegetables - potatoes, onions, green beans, a strange Asian red bean, sun flowers, radishes, cucumbers, cosmic purple carrots, jalapeños, habaneros, yellow bell peppers, and sweet peas. The potatoes were from supermarket red potatoes that had sprouted. Never having grown potatoes before I wanted to see how they were doing. The flowers had dropped from the fist plant to sprout so based on reading it should be ready to harvest some new potatoes. I nervously dug up the plant…
And found a handful of potatoes from the size of a large pea to a bit bigger than a golf ball. I picked my first jalapeño and fried them up.
They went well with a glass of rye whiskey.
The garden has been growing well but so far no substantial harvest. Soon…