How I Prepare Photos for Engraving Using Photoshop

Hello JB, I just purchased your JB’s Glowforge Laser Engraving Photoshop Actions document and free gizmos you offered. Have Lightroom, but now I need to get Photoshop.

Thanks for excellent documentation here and on your website. “Sam”

2 Likes

@jbmanning5 I have purchased the actions in February and successfully was able to engrave several photographs, however, I am no longer able to do this with the new beta version of the glowforge. I have several photograph orders for mothers day and I am beginning to panic because it is no longer working. I also did your step by step adjustments and still no luck. Can you offer any advice?

1 Like

The beta version did not change engraving/cutting specs. Can you be more specific about what problems you are having? A picture of what is not working would be helpful.

1 Like

Like @dklgood mentioned, nothing changed on that end that I know of. Engraving is kind of like a recipe where the different ingredients need to come together to make a successful end product. If you want to send over via message the images you’re working on, along with the material you’re using, settings, etc. I can try and provide some input.

roberts_daughter.pdf (2.0 MB) Thank you both for your reply. Here are the before and after pictures using the action in Photoshop. Any help is truly appreciated.
Melissa

With the right settings, that shouldn’t come out bad. It could use some tweaks before you run the actions though to improve it. The color cast/temperature could make it a little more difficult, so i would set the white balance of the image first.

1 Like

Thanks JB! Doing some research before I run an engrave and this is the best info on settings I have come across. Have your actions and love em. Thanks for the info.

~Alyssa

1 Like

I too bought jbmanning file but I don’t under stand how it works can someone help me. I watched the film but still can’t get it.

2 Likes

Shoot me a private message and I’ll try and help when I can.

2 Likes

WOW. Thank you jbmanning5
I was banging my head trying to get this right… so happy I found your tool!

One “gotcha” in photoshop - is that I wasn’t able to click the play button as a “package”, I had to select each items under that folder then hit play - and it worked FLAWLESSLY!

I’ve added different action scenarios over time. The folder is just a folder containing all of the different scenarios. Regular editing action, portrait action, with and without a background (the with background action puts in an invisible dodge and burn layer, but it becomes visible if the background is transparent), and then invert/acrylic Actions for each scenario.

I don’t understand how to use system. I got photoshop open it look for action then I pick one like 2a then what do I do. can
you tell me the steps I have to take. To get engraving done.

I just need to know the steps I need to take.

1. open photoshop
  2. load you photo
  3. crop photo etc
    4.go action then what do I do from there

It saves it as a PDF for you. Just upload it straight to the Glowforge.

thanks got it did see it before

ok I got it just had to reread everyhting. thanks JB

1 Like

To: “Eloise Ramos” eloise_ramos@yahoo.com
Sent: Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 7:16 PM
Subject: Noise in glowforge

[https://photos.app.goo.gl/tbHKC2wxuGx6ocQZ9](https://photos.app.goo.gl/tbHKC2wxuGx6ocQZ9)

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Hi there! Is there a particular setting you choose after uploading the PDF to print? I know this varys with material, but wondering if you choose “HD Photo” or “SD/HD Graphic” when printing. I searched the forum and having a hard time finding something to compare the two options.

Thanks!

This post is about preparing photos for engraving. There are lots of posts with photos of results of engraving on various materials along with settings in the Beyond the Manual category as well as others. Try searching photo engrave with your desired material and I suspect you will be rewarded with many results.

2 Likes

I understand that - and I use his Photoshop Actions for my photos. That’s why I’m asking, if he (@jbmanning5) has a particular setting. thanks!
My question is also in relation to HD Photo settings - as I could not find anything on the forum. I searched for “HD Photo” and only two posts came up - one of which is mine.