How small can you go?

40 parts - all cut on the Glowforge - plus 12 straight pins and you end up with a bridge 3" long and 3/4" tall.

86 Likes

Amazing!

1 Like

Awesome. Goes to show what the GF can really do. My current project is along the same lines just not that small. It’s a wooden bridge train bridge from the old west.

Thanks, I spend most of my GF efforts on miniatures - model railroads & dollhouse miniatures. In unison with a 3D printer I have been able to accomplish some unique ideas. Would like to see your bridge if you are willing.

Excellent. I am impressed with the cuts, but even more impressed with the meticulous assembly.

2 Likes

Be more than happy too when it’s competed. I’m only about a quarter done with the design. It will an HO Scale of a 210 foot bridge. Then I’m going to attempt the Goat Canyon Bridge in San Diego that i visited when i lived there. It is one awesome bridge it’s 600 by 750 feet. If anyone is out that way it’s a must see if you love history…

4 Likes

Wow! Very impressive.

Darn, everybody already used up the good comments, but I had to say SOMETHING…

Oh, here’s one: Whoa, that’s totally cool!

2 Likes

I love tiny things! The dime really gives it scale. You need a teeny horse or person now.

3 Likes

What material did you use for this project?

The roadway of the bridge is 1/16" plywood and the trusses plus all the trim are 0.025 & 0.015 laserboard. The bridge is in N Scale (1:160) and is a scale 48’ long

2 Likes

“… about a quarter done…” so if you make a smaller one, it will be a DIME done?

we see what you did there :slight_smile:

golly I crack myself up sometimes. not all the time mind you.

3 Likes

If you say so…:rofl:

1 Like

Awesome project, thanks for sharing!
With so many small parts, how’d you keep them from falling into the crumb tray?

Fantastic! I just got my glowforge a week ago but am planning on miniatures too. Been working on some basic 1:144 scale houses to figure out settings.

1 Like

I’m always fascinated by the tiny scraps a job can produce, but I’ve never thought to build anything out of them. Great job!

1 Like

To keep the tiny parts from falling into the crumb tray I leave small tabs on selected parts so that nothing can fall out of the cutting sheet. Then, with an Xacto knife I remove each part from the sheet. Many of the parts are also scored to simulate cracks between boards and nail holes.

3 Likes

small size matters :wink:

3 Likes

WOW! Very beautiful, good job!

This is really neat … Nicely done!