How to Add something you Forgot into an Open File. šŸ¤”

I feel like an idiot for taking this long to discover this little trick, but better late than never I guessā€¦

You donā€™t align additions to the existing cut, you align them to the PREVIEW! And they come out perfectly!

Situational Analysis:

I forgot to add the hash scores to a ring that I was cutting out of a scrap in the far reaches of the bed, and Iā€™d already cut out the blinking ring before I realized it.

I just created another quick file that included both the ring and the correctly placed hash marks to be scored, and dragged that onto the still open fileā€¦

Placed the new ring so that it covered the old Preview ring precisely, (even though it appeared to be offset from the actual cut underneath), then Ignored the rings and ran the Score. It laid the hash marks exactly where they were supposed to be on the cut.

Somebody whack me upside the head for taking this long to figure this out! :roll_eyes:

30 Likes

You have set the bar so high that this great writeup doesnā€™t even surprise me. This will help a lot of people.

4 Likes

Thank you from a beginner.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a simple thing, but Soooooo easily missed! Thanks for sharing!!

3 Likes

Wait, @jules didnā€™t know something? Stop the presses! This is the biggest news story of the week!

5 Likes

Much there is I know not, Obi Wan! :smile:

5 Likes

Itā€™s so funny about how things like this just come to us now and again. Weā€™re all isolated from each other, learning the same stuff from different angles. Iā€™m sure fur every person who is like ā€œwow, great thinking!ā€ Thereā€™s probably another who is thinking ā€œhow else would you do it?!ā€ ā€¦And yet another who is like ā€œwut?, just wondering how this would even come up.

Great tip, though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love those ā€œAaahaā€ moments.

2 Likes

Oddly, I thought about something similar last night, awake at 1am as the expectant father the day before a delivery date. I bought some leather round coaster blanks, and figured I could put those in the preview and then drag artwork over, rather than trying to align in a vacuum. @jules you at least are able to have tried out the theory. My GF is still on a UPS truck someplace. (within 30 minute driveā€¦) I have a dinner party to go to tonight. Maybe I can put artwork together and get the coasters made by then? Slightly unreasonable deadline.

3 Likes

This has me wondering what other little tricks I use all the time and take for granted, which might be revolutionary to others who hadnā€™t seen them/figured them out.

Also, this trick is one of the major reason I would like to be able to see resize dimensions in the GFUI. If you have, for example, resized your design a little bit to better fit some material, resizing the second version (with the forgotten elements included) to the exact size can be quite tedious.

9 Likes

Geez, (smacks forehead) it never occurred to me that the displaced after-image could be used because itā€™s - displaced! Yet I knew if you ran the file again without moving anything it would register perfectly despite the offset.
I just never put 2 & 2 together :no_mouth:

All of a sudden that camera after image has more value than I realized.

Great share Girl! :+1::sunglasses:

5 Likes

Just depends on how often it comes up i guessā€¦I donā€™t leave things out of designs very often, so it hadnā€™t really clicked till now. :smile:

(And yeah, go ahead and post your tricks.) :wink:

3 Likes

I try, when it occurs to meā€¦ but thatā€™s the thingā€¦ They arenā€™t tricks until someone comes along and goes, ā€œOh, neat trick!ā€
Until that happens, itā€™s just the ā€˜obviousā€™ way for me to do stuff, that presumably everyone else does as well.

4 Likes

Chuckle! Well everything laser is new to me, so I go by the default assumption that itā€™s new to a lot of other people too.

(Youā€™ve got to start thinking like us dummies.) :wink:

1 Like

I used to has a high IQ,
but it sobered up after college.

5 Likes

:slight_smile: I never know that what I might know is something that everyone doesnā€™t know. Iā€™m not sure how to get those tips out except through posts where it just happens to come out. There was a ton of stuff we learned pretty early on with the PRUs and then over the summer as the software was enhanced. A lot of that was reported here but itā€™s not easy to find in a nice capsule format. Not sure how to get it in a format that everyone could use to find out how to do stuff. Itā€™s too bad because thereā€™s a lot of good stuff.

3 Likes

Yepā€¦ yesterday I was thinking about how much great info I got out the forum before my GF arrivedā€¦ and how I would never have the time/energy/motivation to go back and sift through all of that if I hadnā€™t been following the forum (voraciously) and reading the stuff as it was posted. The Matrix is incredible, but itā€™s a bit overwhelmingā€¦ and thatā€™s coming from someone who watched it come together, read most of the posts as they were posted, contributed tutorials. Going to it from a blank slate is kinda likeā€¦ if you had never seen a movie but wanted to, and then someone hands you the entire IMDB and says ā€œjust start here, some good stuff to be foundā€.

6 Likes

No kidding. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
(about the only thing the Matrix has going for it isā€¦ it beats having nothing at all)

2 Likes

Hehe! Yeahā€¦ I ran into the same thing a few weeks ago making dominoes. Iā€™d done the fronts, and then figured Iā€™d create the backs while the front was engraving. Started engraving then I went ā€œDuh. How am I going to line them up if theyā€™re not in the same file?!ā€ And, like you, I found it was stupid-simple to just add the artwork to what I just did, then line them up, ignore the front, and go.

1 Like

Not to mention that the conversations here often veer off into super technical or theoretical debates about the very nature of laser cutting. Time spent reading through old threads is interesting and educational for sure, but sometimes you just want to find out whether the adhesive on the PG veneer is permanent or not, you know?

2 Likes