How to automate pushing the Glowforge button

Bob from ILTMS has automated pushing the button on the Glowforge:

26 Likes

LOL! Iā€™d link that to AHK so that when the app says to go push the button, it triggers the Alexa routine.

2 Likes

Once again a fun project from Bob.

1 Like

Bob the builder is my new idol.

Oh that is so funny!! I ordered two of those boards a couple of days ago, theyā€™re out for delivery! Iā€™m designing some unusual automation ā€œthingsā€, one of them might have to be re-purposed immediately!

Ha! Just deliveredā€¦

4 Likes

Alertā€¦Alertā€¦ā€œRabbit Holeā€ā€¦" Rabbit Hole "

:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Story of my lifeā€¦ not kiddingā€¦ I have dozens of half-finished projects of all kinds, from fuel pump in my truck to pre-fab shed in yard to an half-written IOS app to multiple designed and partly built electronic devices.

2 Likes

You can imagine then what I face currently, in packing up a huge number plastic drawer sets from a workshop, in which I have collected 50 years worth of odds and sods of projects/inventions/house maintenance/musical instrument playing robots(shelved) etc, in order to bring myself and what I am, over to Mississippi in a few months time - all being well.

Itā€™s a challenge, but life is fun, if you donā€™t let the bu##ers get you down.
:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Cool stuff but I still like the concept of ā€˜Eyes Onā€™ before the burning stuff starts, even though it is a 30 to 40 foot walk. Just the old safety officer habits twitching I suppose.

I have only had two or three instances of immediately lifting the lid because of an oopsie while standing there, so the odds ARE in your favor with a remote button pusher (until they arenā€™t).

Ha. I had been working on doing this using Arduino, a couple of NRF24L01T wireless boards, and and a big red button. However, integrating into Alexa is way cooler. Love the video.

1 Like

Saw that video last night and tweeted to him that I feel so behind the times, pushing my Glowforge button all manually and all. ha

He does say itā€™s probably not the best ideaā€¦

Mine is around the corner, and for anything I know might flare up, I typically facetime myself and keep an eye on it remotely.

I used to run a security camera aimed at our old epilog. I pulled it off for another project at one point but I would put it back before attempting something like this.

1 Like

I, for one, love pushing the big glowy button.
Ainā€™t no robot gonna take that away from me.

4 Likes

I thought of this early, after watching a Make: video that covered this - youā€™re giving your GF the finger! lolā€¦

Immature humor, I knowā€¦

Did you get the project done?

Nice Project!! Thanks for sharing !!