How to cut a new artwork

I have created a freehand outline as part of a puzzle but my setup only wants to engrave. I’m a new user and it’s ho doubt my lack of knowhow

2 Likes

You will need to turn the digital copy of the artwork into vector lines to cut out. That can be accomplished with the trace function in design software, but it can be quite a challenge to get the results you want.

Was your freehand artwork done digitally or in meat space? In either case, the cut lines have to be vectors. Usually artwork comes in as a bitmap which is always engraved. You need to get those lines into single path vectors by manual tracing or dancing with a trace function in digital design software.

I’m so sorry for the confusion! As @marmak3261 said, artwork usually comes in as a bitmap, which can only be engraved, whereas only SVG and PDF files can be used for cutting as well as engraving. Like bitmaps, JPG and PNG files can only be used to engrave. The SVG or PDF file needs to contain lines called “strokes”, which are turned into cuts.

Here’s a quick tutorial on how to create a shape to cut. If you’d like a little more depth, we have a longer tutorial that walks you through creating a design so you can see how to create a file with cuts in it. It includes step by step instructions and illustrations, including how to use Inkscape, a free design program, to create shapes for cutting.

Please try out the tutorial and let us know if it doesn’t work to get you cutting!

2 Likes

It’s been a while since we’ve heard from you, so I’m going to close this thread. If you are still having trouble - let us know.

Please email us at suppport@glowforge.com or start a new thread and we’ll follow up with more troubleshooting steps.