How to cut a piece of plywood in half

How do you cut a 20x12 sheet of plywood in half?

1 Like

For hand saw cuts I would suggest a fine toothed pull saw. It might take a few cuts to get used to pulling a saw rather than pushing but once you get used to it you can cut really quick and accurately down a scribed line.

5 Likes

Which way do you want it cut, and do you want to use the Glowforge to make the cut?

3 Likes

Yes, I want to use the Glowforge to cut my wood sheet in half

1 Like

20 x 6 or 12 x 10?

2 Likes

12x20

1 Like

If you have a pro just stick it through the slot and use a single cut line. If you don’t have a pro do a forum search on “semi-pro” while we all look the other way and whistle a little tune. :blush:

2 Likes

Which way are you cutting? Do you want 2 pieces each 20 x 6 or 2 pieces 12 x 10?

2 Likes

12x10

1 Like

I am assuming that you don’t have the pro or you would just use the passthrough.

I think the fastest way to do this would be to draw the cut line on the board. If the board is not masked, consider placing a strip of masking where the line will be drawn. Create a 10.5" straight line and know that you are going to have to make the cut in two phases since the longest cut you can make top to bottom is 10.9". Zoom in on your drawn line and use the set focus right on the line. Align the cut line to the drawn line and score on a power of 1. You don’'t have to score the whole line to see whether or not you are going to cut where you want. Adjust until the cut line is on the drawn line. Make the cut. Flip the board so that the uncut 1.5" is in front. Shorten your cut line to 1.5" align and cut the last bit.

3 Likes

If this is the case, she probably should find a person with power tools to cut it. This is not something someone should be doing who doesn’t already understand how to do it.

1 Like

I am not suggesting the passthrough hack.

1 Like

Hah. I am having a bad math day. :rofl:

1 Like

Thank you! I do have the pro, but didn’t think about the pass though. I haven’t used it yet.

If you have the pro, just stick the board in the pass through, create a line that is 12" long and make the cut. You don’t have to use the passthrough software or do anything special.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 29 days. New replies are no longer allowed.