How to Print out a large file with overlays for engraving?

I’ve only printed out very small silhouettes so far, but I’ve decided I’d like to cut and engrave a Settlers of Catan board so I bought a file. But I have to admit I’m lost. I have an illustrator file with outlines of the pieces and then separate outlines of the engraving. But this is far too big to print out all at once. I’m starting to think I’m going to have to figure out how to use AI in order to slice up all of these different shapes which seems incredibly complex. Am I thinking about this the right way or is there an easy way to do this?

Also, if I can separate these pieces, how do I get the engraving details on top of each of them to both cut and engrave all at once?
Thanks!

My first step is to ask the person that I bought it from to split it. (It helps them to realize that they need to think about the limitations of other people’s lasers.)

That’s just so you can start changing the world. We all need to do it. :wink:

For your specific issue with this file, if you are not helped by the person you paid for it, you can ask for help in the Everything Else category to get some assistance breaking it up. There are helpful experts in most of the software here, but without seeing the file, it’s hard to tell you what you need to do about it.

Do you want me to shift the post to that category for you so you can get some help with splitting it? You mentioned that you are using Illustrator, right?

3 Likes

yes that would be great thank you so much!

2 Likes

Done deal! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey just a heads up and sry if you seen it before but from time to time glowforge offers some files for free. and right now there is a settlers of catan board there that might cause you less issues. i havent made it myself but just wanted to let you know before it is gone.

if you go to the dashboard it is the present icon in the top right of the screen
this one 111

2 Likes

And if you want to post your file here for someone to take a look at it, zip it first, then drag and drop it into a new line in one of your replies. After someone helps you, you’ll want to delete it so that other people don’t have access to it.

1 Like

Wow this is awesome, thank you!

1 Like

I am glad to see that you were able to resolve this issue with the help of our super helpful community. I’m going to close this thread

Thanks for letting us know about this!