How to set image to cut and engrave

trying to make a keychain. I am at wits end, after tutorials, videos etc… how can i set this image to where it cuts the pig out and engraves the apple? it only either wants to engrave the entire design or cut the entire design.
Thank you in advance, this was last resort as videos, tutorials are not working for me.

FCDDEBD9

Your image did not upload, so we can’t actually see what you are trying to accomplish. The Glowforge interface operates using colors. In your design program, you need to assign different colors to different operations - black for cut lines and red for engrave areas, for example. It doesn’t matter what colors you use, but the different operations must be different colors. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

FCDDEBD9

1 Like

sorry about that. I have tried to change the color of the apple and nose in illustrator but i cant click on those specific areas, how do you change the color of just those areas?
Thank you for your help, I am still learning illustrator, ive never used graphic design programs before as you can probably tell.

1 Like

I don’t use Illustrator so I can’t specifically tell you that. Generally, you must ungroup the design so there are different elements to manipulate. You will need to get a general understanding of the vector design process. I suggest you work through some of the Glowforge tutorials and print some of the free designs from Glowforge so you get a general idea of how to interact with the interface. You will be up and running in no time.

2 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

You’re going to have to color the snout part the same as the apple so you can also set it to engrave. The pig outline looks rather thick, I’m not sure it will cut like that, but upload it to the GFUI and see what it allows you to do before you print it. I often use that step to see what I need to correct in my design before I print it. If the pig outline is too thick and is interpreted as an engrave and can’t be set to cut, you’ll need to add a cut line around the pig, unless you can break apart the pig outline to inner and outer lines and delete the inner. I don’t use Illustrator either, so good luck. I agree with dklgood that doing some of the :glowforge: tutorials is a good way to get used to the process and saves you in the long run. Most importantly have fun!

1 Like

You’ve got a bitmap image there. It has no “areas”… It’s one image. You can try and do an Image Trace in Illustrator and then Ungroup whatever it renders and you should have something you can work with. However, keep in mind you’re starting off with a very low-resolution image here… All of those jaggies will certainly translate to your final output. You may be able to smooth things out a bit during the Image Trace though… You’ll need to play with those settings and see what you can come up with that will look the best.

2 Likes

The tutorials are great, I’ve spent the last 2 hours watching them for both illustrator, glowforge and facebook forum posts to figure this out. The design looks good on the glowforge app and should cut nicely. its just changing the colors to specify cut or engrave that im stuck on.
Thanks for your help and time.

1 Like

The GF will only cut vector artwork. Bitmaps are always engraved, not cut. Your artwork is 100% bitmap. There is no way to do what you want to do without making changes. You have to convert the pig outline to vector artwork. If your image editing software can perform a trace, that ought to do it. Alternately, you can draw the vector outline by hand, tracing the graphic manually. But you need vector artwork to make cuts.

2 Likes

Tom_A Thank you!!! I will definitely try what you suggested. I took a photo off the food truck and went from there through the tutorials until I got stuck at this point.
Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you Randy! Going back to it now as I needed a break from it.
Thank you!

Randy and Tom,
Thank you both! It worked, I was able to subgroup the areas, colored them and now printing/coloring. You guys got me over that roadblock and I appreciate it!! Thank you!

2 Likes

Pigwapple

Pigwapple
Last one may have been too big?

3 Likes

That’s perfect! Thank you so much, I appreciate the effort and time you put into it to help me!!

No problem. Any time.

2 Likes