How to test for Vegetable Tanned Leather

thanks, I’m fine throwing it in the GF as long it won’t hurt the laser. The stuff I got I think is termed “Garment Leather”. Basically it is the thickness of regular fabric, but it’s leather. I think that is about 3 oz leather? purely guessing here, VERY little experience working with leather

3 Likes

I’ve cut some chrome tanned without issue.

3 Likes

In that case it is probably chrome tanned. But do a small test run with it. At that light of a weight you’ll probably be good. It’s when you fork over hundreds of dollars only to find out you have to learn leather working with edged tools because its a mess when lasered that you…

2 Likes

I’ve posted a few times on this. (Hard to find on the phone.) There are two quick tests - a burn test and what kind of ash is produced and a water float test.

Both require you cut a piece off. But once you have a known sample of each you’ll be able to tell from the surface finish and the feel. (Since those tests are comparative, you need known samples or you won’t know if something is smoother or stiffer because you have no reference.)

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that I’ve even read your posts on this, but I couldn’t find them with my search terms, and at the time I didn’t need the information, so it didn’t pop back out to me when I came across this.

For the Burn test, was I right in my guess? Red/Yellow flame veg tan, Blue/Green chrome tan?

I would like to hear what I should be looking for with the Ash and water float test. I have no issues cutting a scrap off of the scrap I bought.

2 Likes

Veggie will burn up and create a black or gray ash. Chrome will burn leaving a greenish ash

The water float test is done on a small strip placed in boiling water - chrome tanned will immediately curl up and eventually sink; veggie just floats there.

(I swear I’m going to pin this somewhere :grin:…but then I never do.)

9 Likes

Just a warning. Vinegaroon sounds like it’s the same as the wood stain “liquid nightmare”. The guy who named it that put the vinegar and steel wool in a jar and sealed it with a cap. After a couple days the solution built up pressure and blew up all over the shop. It is now suggested if you make Liquid Nightmare aka vinegaroon do not seal the jar tight shut.

Terry

3 Likes

I did mine in a takeout plastic container. The top was already perforated, so no problem. It does produce gas, this is good advice.

2 Likes

As far as results–I’ve had very successful etchings using chrome & oil tanned leathers–ventilation is key. And many of those have been on garment grade, or even upholstry grade hides. (And less than a few oz, or about 1/8" thick, it’s rarely veg tanned).

Also it’s rare to find “natural” (undyed) chrome tanned or oil tanned leather, so if it’s natural, odds are it’s veg tanned.

And if water absorbs into the hide, it’s more likely veg tanned than chrome or oil tanned. The latter have greater water resistance, and water will just roll off. But veg tanned will actually absorb the water (at least w/ the pieces I’ve had–many not true in all cases). A great feature for tooling and forming/molding the leather–not something you can do with chrome or oil tanned leathers.

1 Like

You should engrave it on something…

Cool tip. Although I guess you weren’t trying to encourage me mwahahaha

I’m tired, but this sounds opposite what @jamesdhatch posted above. So I guess now I’m confused too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t know about the float test itself in boiling water–I’m sure that does happen initially. Might have to try that out of curiousity.

But natural, undyed veg tanned leather will absorb water–if you wash, or soak it in warm water, it will absorb it.

And all my etched leathers I run under a light flow of tap water & clean the etched areas w/ soft tooth brush, as a lot more soot is left compared to other materials. And just doing that, I know the veg tan/undyed gets soaked and needs time to dry (and thus great benefit when trying to form or mold a shape).

1 Like

That makes sense.

Like I said… I’m tired today :slight_smile: Thanks.

What also floats in water?

• bread
  • apples
  • very small rocks
  • cider
  • gravy
  • cherries
  • mud
  • churches
  • lead
7 Likes

THIS is a vinegaroon:
Image result for vinegaroon

I know because I’m from Texas and I pay very close attention to anything that looks that much like a scorpion.

Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, the vinegar / steel wool stuff that people for some reason have given the same name to is freaking awesome. I love it. Makes a beautiful dark gray / black color on leather, and you can also slop it on wood to make it look like you dug it out of the scrap pile on the back 40 instead of just pulling it out of the sale bin at the hobby store. :slight_smile: I paint it on with one of those cheap foam hobby brushes.

It’s smelly and looks disgusting, but it’s my absolute favorite leather treatment. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The water float test is also how you tell which eggs not to eat, when you find a nest one of the hens has managed to keep hidden from you. (floating = bad)

1 Like

Wait…Churches???

1 Like

Ducks! Ducks float.

Veggie tanned leather must be made of ducks.

But not witches :wink:

I’m correct. Boiling water curls chrome tanned and does not affect veggie. Both will soak up water at various rates I’ve time but we’re talking a quick test here not minutes or hours of study. :yum:

5 Likes

So, logically…
If leather weighs the same as a duck…
It’s made of wood
And, therefore…

LASER IT!

7 Likes

But don’t get confused and try to laser a duck. They are messy creatures, and you don’t want to have to clean up what they might do to your GF.

2 Likes

Doh, someone else got the witches & ducks…

2 Likes