How to Use Photoshop to Reduce a Raster file Size

That was a question and answer culled from the internet…although it doesn’t play on my phone either.

Safari (on the Mac) has a plug-in module that allows mp4 playback.

Unfortunately, Apple does not allow that on iOS and has no plans on adding that functionality.

EDIT: Link from Apple Developers forum
https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/51343

Ok, the Vimeo link is viewable on iPhone.

BTW, The Vimeo link is only listed on the GF :glowforge: Forums.

Not knowing if you wanted it publicly visible, I made it the “unlisted” version of Vimeo (as YouTube calls it).

Also, I put it in my paid account (to keep ads out of the video), but it does list my name.

1 Like

If you want to go through and create a link for all of the uploaded demo videos (unlisted) it’s not going to hurt my feelings any…I just don’t have time to tackle it right now.

I’m sure the iPhone only folk will appreciate it greatly.

Can you post a bug report with details on https://meta.discourse.org/c/bug please? I have no info about that. :slight_smile:

For now here’s a link to what I found: Pre-Release | Mother’s Day Part 2: Edge Lit LED Sign

but I’ll go file a proper bug report too.

1 Like

Is this just to save space when saving images, or does this have some effect on lasering the image?

1 Like

If the file size is too large, it might hang up when trying to load it into certain programs, including the Glowforge interface at present.

1 Like

Instead of cropping the image you can copy the image from one photoshop document and when you create a new photoshop document it will default to the dimensions of the clipboard.

At what size do you find the GF chokes?

Interestingly this is a common issue with printers and photoshop when you have a lot of layers. If you ever want to cause mischief in your office, grab a GB PS file with 500 layers in it and print 10 copies. No one is printing today. :smiley:

3 Likes

@Xabbess had one hang up on her yesterday that was multiple parts, but one of them had a 4MB embedded image file in the SVG. (It originated from Affinity Designer.)

I couldn’t open that one in either the GF interface or Adobe Illustrator, although I did get it opened in Inkscape so I could screen cap the image and get the size knocked down a little and converted to a jpeg. After that it opened just fine, and no appreciable loss in image quality.

(Having excessively pixel-heavy files is a well known program crasher in the cutter world. Most are geared to the smaller file sizes generated by vector programs, and not many have a large memory setup.)

But I’m not sure that caused this particular problem, it might have been the conversion. It just reminded me of this so I wrote it up.

2 Likes

Or you can do the following and skip the extra steps:
file → open
image → image size (set size, dpi, etc to exactly what you want)

file → save

6 Likes

Another good way of doing it for those who understand a little bit more of what they are doing.

1 Like

As in life there are no wrong ways. I only knew the Image Size way (since I do that 10x/day)

2 Likes

Another tip is that instead of using the crop tool to try to get as close as possible to the edges, just ctrl click (cmd click on mac) the new layer which will select just its contents, then go to ‘image-> crop’. This will crop it down to exactly the size of the image.

Of course this is all unnecessary if you do the previously mentioned method, but in other times this could definitely be helpful.

6 Likes

I was able to change the display name to match my forum name.

I will start to link the videos, but wonder if I need to have you edit the first posting to point to those videos?

Let me know how you want to do that.

Just add the link to the first Topic post that I made, underneath. Every topic in this Category is a Wiki. (Click the pencil icon and paste the link in the left panel, underneath the one I have in there.)

If you put it into a new reply, the link in the Matrix will no longer be correct.

(And I will have to kill you.)

2 Likes

How does this look?

Perfect! :wink: