I actually made something that works!

A BIG project for me, as I normally don’t make things from scratch. I made it for my little area at the store I sell at. My wonderful husband put it together for me, including cutting the dowels and drilling the holes for them, and making the base. Yes, I know I could have done the holes on my GF, but I marked them with scoring and he drilled them at a slight angle so the cards won’t fall off so easy. I am so tickled with how it turned out!

The cards took just as long because I wanted to print them on my printer and cut them on my GF. Finally got it to where I was okay with the placement.

74 Likes

Very nice! I see why you’re so pleased with it!

5 Likes

What a wonderful display! Nobody else has one like it.

6 Likes

Thanks! We originally thought about using pegboard, but then I realized that we could use the GF and make it look better, especially since the edges would be fitted, plus I could put my business name on it. And it takes up less space than the flat one I have Thus one also holds more earrings.

7 Likes

That’s very professional looking, nice work. I can see why you are pleased with it. Pretty and practical.

6 Likes

Looks like maybe it rotates around the base, lazy-susan style? Nice display (nice earrings too!)

8 Likes

Oh yeah :slight_smile: Does it have storage inside or is the bob on top for something else?

5 Likes

Yay, it sure did!
Congratulations

5 Likes

Came out great! I always love the moment when I think… wait, I have a tool that can do that!

8 Likes

Besides the fact that it turned out perfectly, is so practical, and looks really nice…the feeling of having done it all is the very best. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I LOVE that. it turned out awesome. You should be proud!!

4 Likes

@jbv, Yes, we put a lazy susan base under it, so it can be turned to see the earrings on all four sides. Thanks!
@deirdrebeth - no, I didn’t make storage inside it because of the nature of the store we sell at. It’s just as easy for me to take earrings in to fill it up, as I need to go there at least once a week to see if/what’s been sold. The knob on top is to turn it if they don’t want to use the sides to turn it around.
@charid.designs, @ChristyM, @Xabbess, @rvogt - thank you!!

We took it down to the store today. We actually have it sitting on the front desk, so anyone checking out will see it, and where we had other other display. Our booth area is towards the back of the store. The girl working there loved it and asked if anyone was to ask for one, how much would we charge? That made me feel good. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Great job. I bet you sell several displays. In fact, I would make a couple and engrave a nice sign/plaque to go on top to advertise to anyone needing such a display. Boutiques, craft/antique malls always have people needing something to display their wares on.

7 Likes

Wonderful! So nice to have things made to work just as you want them and so nice to have a store to sell stuff at! Good for you!

5 Likes

Good piece of teamwork. Good thinking about the sloped dowels too!

6 Likes

In fact I would take it a step further and make a few of them without any marquee on them and all you need to do when someone wants one is to cut a small marquee and glue it on. Could even make it removable with pegs so they could change out what it says. Sell the stand and sell the signs to add to it. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

@ovm.steve, @MakerMatthew, @sqw, @kanati - thank you for your support! It’s something I will seriously consider doing. Don’t know that they’d want to pay the price though! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

First one always takes longer. I know when I did my gingerbread clock it would have to cost over 500 dollars for me to do more than break even on it. But that included all of the design work and trial and error. Now that I have all the pieces in place and know what to do I can make one in a fraction of the time and the price could be much much less and still make a bit of profit. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

True. Thanks!!

1 Like

Looks very nice. It would look even cooler with some stain, or if it was cut from pre-colored wood. You could also create a plaque for the name at the top in contrasting colors. Try something new with each iteration, you’ll be amazed where you end up.

Next version you can also design sloped pegs that can be laser cut and plugged in… no drilling required. Here’s a super quick and dirty illustration of what I mean.

It just takes time to see things with new eyes.

9 Likes