I am what I am!

PUBLIC NOTICE: To all friends, family, enemies, acquaintances, former coworkers, ex’s, politicians and celebrities; I will no longer be attending any weddings, funerals, bar mitzvahs, dedications, reunions, protests or other gatherings unless i can wear sandals, shorts, hoodies and or sweats as I can no longer fit in my finest. I have recently succumbed to the joys of smoked foods. I have determined that I am getting to old for a new wardrobe and enyoy eating too much to quit! Sincerely, Steve.

40 Likes

Gorgeous.
I have a finished batch of those in my fridge right now :yum::yum:

6 Likes

That looks amazing!

5 Likes

LOL - and good choice :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m just as god made me, sir.

9 Likes

I don’t know what that is, but it looks delicious. I’m watching a food show right now. They have these two young chefs (i think they are actors or musicians being forced to play chef bevause they don’t know how to peel shrimp) making a dish with extra expensive materials ($150). And they are going against an experienced chef making the same dish with cheap materials ($8). I don’t know what’s going on, but it’s fun to watch.

Just translated the title. King & Prince x Celebrities with expensive ingredients vs Chef with Cheap ingredients…i did a decent job at guessing :rofl::rofl: now i just want to visit @ovm.steve because food is prepped and the dress code is casual :rofl::rofl:

13 Likes

That looks delicious! Makes my mouth water! And @CMadok, that sounds like a super fun program to watch! I love cooking shows, well, most of them anyway.

7 Likes

Now I am hungry. That is a thing of beauty!

7 Likes

I read that title with the voice of Popeye saying “I yam what I yam.” Showing my age here.

That looks like burnt ends or something crack, or something…

15 Likes

Head on over. They are chunks of pork belly coated in my own dry rub. They smoke at 225 for 3-4 hours and then go into a pan with a mixture of equal parts honey, maple syrup, date syrup and agave syrup. Next it’s back into the smoke for another hour. At the the end of that I remove as much of the rendered oil and liberally cover with brown sugar, cover pan with aluminum foil and another our in the smoker. When all of that has finished, I remove the foil, stir and cover again with turbinado/brown sugar mix, increase heat to 300 and let sugars glaze and just start caramelizing. Remove and serve.

12 Likes

Not a true burnt end, but maybe even more delicious. I made my first batch a couple of years ago for a bring a dish party and now make them a couple of times a month for friends and groups I belong to. Last month I cooked 30+ pounds of them for a local organization. This batch is for my local family meat market to serve at their high school reunion. I’ve been experimenting with an sliced pork belly (not yet cured bacon), a milk enzyme (meat glue :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) brown sugar and Asian 5 spice. The meat is then either rolled (like tortilla pinwheels) or stack and cut into cubes. The cooking process is similar with the exception of syrups, it’s done dry. I call them carnivore cinnamon rolls and the are quite tasty.

10 Likes

Just thought I’d mention, they are not cheap to make. The syrup mixture alone costs about $40 to make (I only use quality products) and a 10-12 pound pork belly is $50. I could save money with lesser, cheaper products and may test that sometime, but for now I just want it to be the best I can.

14 Likes

You had me at pork belly. I’ll start walking/swimming now. By the time I get there, my waistline can afford to pack on a few pounds…

12 Likes

That is a wonderful recipe, anything having to do with pork belly, smoke and caramel must be excelent.

As good as they look and taste I’d be careful, the recipe with all that syrup and sugar is an invitation to a diabetic coma. :rofl:

6 Likes

You should see how crazy I go with my desserts!

5 Likes

I so love and understand this post LOL!

4 Likes

Tonight we are have KC Strip with lions mane and oyster mushrooms.

3 Likes

Very nice! What settings did you use? Every time I try to BBQ in the GF, the outside gets crusty, the inside is still raw, and the exhaust fan clogs up.

:wink:

DISCLAIMER (Because it has to be said): The above was humor. Do NOT try to cook food in your GF.

6 Likes

Hey @ESteele welcome back!! This made me laugh. How unfortunate you actually do have to put a disclaimer on here though, because you know surely if you didn’t, someone, somewhere, would try to do it. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

4 Likes

I burn stuff in mine all the time.

2 Likes