I can't believe I did not see this before

A lot of the gaps are people in Washington, which is GF’s home state. Some like dan and aeva are employees but a lot some seem not to be so I don’t know whey they get skipped. Do different states have different approval requirements?

Ah. I may have read staff is not getting theirs until Preorders are done. I may have dreamed that, I looked a bit, and couldn’t find the quote, but its 3:40AM here, I’m reinstalling windoze (Again) on my K40 machine…

States can have different regulations on a number of things, but I don’t think that’s what has come into play here

Yes, I’m speculating again (maybe if I point it out myself, it’ll reduce the number of people that feel compelled to point it out also). I suspect Washington is over represented especially in the early days of the campaign because of the friends and family effect. Because of this, if they’re trying to see regional shipping issues, they probably need to skip ahead to some other places. It may also be helpful word of mouth marketing-wise to spread them around a bit.

2 Likes

Perhaps the mix of Pro vs Basic is higher in Washington is higher that the rest of the orders for a similar reason. It appears to be the case at least from the self reporting folks anyway.

2 Likes

I highly doubt it. If you can sell it in WA you can usually sell it in FL, although there are exceptions, most of them in California, but the federal govt tries to keep those to a minimum. Each state probably has differing safety regulations about how you use a class IV laser, but that’s not glowforge’s problem. There are also at least three Canadians who had it delivered to a Washington address.

Yay!! :tada::tada::tada:

1 Like

No, @dan said that a couple of weeks ago - one of the post-Aug update discussion threads. Both employees and paid backers of the company are waiting to the end.

He did note that the employees do get to schlep machines back & forth from home and they get Laser Thursdays :slight_smile:

1 Like

What are “paid backers” of a company?

Their early equity investors.

1 Like

I believe they’re likely the equivalent of small angel investors who aren’t accredited. The folks when you’re starting will give you 10 or 20 thousand dollars (sometimes more) to get a small piece of the action in a startup. Usually friends & family and other business connections. With Dan’s history he’d have tons of those to tap before needing to hit the big dollar private equity/venture capital guys.

2 Likes

Ah, so those are probably all the Washingtonians that have been skipped over that are not staff. That is probably distorting the data somewhat.

But Dan put his info on the spread sheet at one point… or was he just joking.

when i said that “dan asked that it not be done any more,” i meant that user A wouldn’t put user B’s information in the spreadsheet. he’s fine with people putting their own information in, he asked that nobody enters someone else’s info.

2 Likes

Your right… all staff according to Dan got bumped, but others got promoted so net effect was zero to the list.

and free proofgrade materials for staff. I think the joke was hanging a sign around your neck saying"will work for proof grade" :slight_smile:

1 Like

ah got it

FWIW, MY brother got his pro several weeks before I got my basic.

My strategy, after having waited almost 2.3 years, was to believe the whole thing was a pipe dream and the emails were April Fools pranks, and really, I was NEVER going to have a GF. That took all the pressure off, as each new date slipped farther into the future, and I would just laugh at each new email and refuse to be suckered into hoping. (That meant, of course, I didn’t participate in the forums, since that would’ve made it too hard to keep up the pretense!)

And then my brother (2000 miles away where I couldn’t just drop in and share!) actually GOT his. And started texting me photos of amazing things he and his kids were making. And the @&$#! suddenly got real. All my lovely coping skills went right out the window, and I was a trembling ball of agonized nail biting anxiety and unfulfilled wishes and dreams for the next month, half thinking it still would never happen, and the other half obsessively checking email and UPS delivery messages. It was pure hell!

I’m REALLY glad it was only a month, and not the whole 2+ years!

Anyway, @positiveforward, hang in there. We feel your pain, we really do. And I guess you’re overseas, but if you were in WA state I’d absolutely let you come over and play with mine!

3 Likes

I’m in Washington, not staff / friends / family, and I got mine in late Feb (ordered Oct 25, 2015). I’m not in the spreadsheet, though, because I didn,t know about it.

Went through that about four times myself. :smile:

1 Like