I finally made another cutting board

I made my first one almost 4 years ago, haven’t messed with one since (I have a stack of 4-5 I found on clearance at target, never pulled one out).

But I snagged an olive wood cutting board on sale from Trader Joe’s and made this for my nephew and his wife.

66 Likes

Very nice. Is that white line an inlay? Tell us more!

6 Likes

thanks!

i engraved out the skyline, then cut the white skyline out of 1/8" acrylic. i cut a small portion of it first to make sure it was a good fit. and i used 3M tape on the back of that acrylic for adhesive. feels firmly fit, fingers crossed it stays that way. it’s such a thin line i think it would have been a nightmare to use any sort of glue and keep it clean. i let the acrylic be a little longer than the cutting board edge, then after adhering it to the board, i took a dremel and a sanding wheel and rounded those edges down to the end of the board. that way there’s no sharp corner sticking out.

22 Likes

Looks great! I bet they are going to love it.

3 Likes

Though it was Nashville for a moment. Couldn’t figure out what the building on the right was then saw it was Chicago.

1 Like

4 Likes

Not just another rectangle.
I like that shape. Makes it very unique.

6 Likes

Yeah, I dug through a big stack looking for the right shape and grain.

5 Likes

That turned out beautiful!

5 Likes

I always love skyline projects but this one really kicked it up a notch. You described an inlay but it seems like I see shadows. Is it a flush inlay or just part way?

4 Likes

it’s not flush. i engraved 1/32", maybe a little deeper. so more than half of that 1/8" white acrylic is sticking out.

3 Likes

Here’s more of an angled view.

11 Likes

The figure in that wood is great!

3 Likes

right? the benefits of getting into TJs when they still had a big pile and i could dig through for the best one.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for that view. I thought that is what I was visualizing.

4 Likes

I love what you’ve done with that lovely chunk of wood. Makes an awesome sign! I really wouldn’t want to be cutting cheese or bread on that piece anyway.

5 Likes

Love it! Taking the cutting board to the next level!

4 Likes

Such a beautiful project … and I could look at this piece of wood forever. Very well executed!

3 Likes

So classy!

1 Like

I’m so jealous. By time I remembered it was time for them all they had left were small. So I snagged w of them. Next year I’ll start calling sooner and go grab some medium and large ones.

2 Likes