I guess it's my turn now...calibration issues spoiling my plans! :(

I can’t get any closer to the right than I already did, due to the engrave limit boundary, but I’m doing another one…

While that’s printing, FYI @timjedwards tried the file that’s messing up for me, and on his machine it’s printing fine. I’ve tried multiple times, even just doing one or two parts at a time, and every time the cuts and engraves shift around and nothing comes out right. :frowning:

Not so perfect this time.

Screenshot:

Photo:

1 Like

Try it out on cardboard but re-position your pieces, each one of them in the design file to be on the left side of the work area. Align them along the left margin. Use a full sheet of cardboard that fits the honeycomb to get the full effect.

See what happens there. At least it will give you something to do.

2 Likes

Besides staring obsessively at my screen hoping @Jaz will come back before she goes home for the night? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I started from the left and have been gradually working my way across to the right, using a new design I hadn’t tested yet, a geometric construction ala @evansd2 (but much more primitive!). It’s been working okay so far. I’m starting to think that it’s the engrave operations where it’s messing up, but I don’t know enough about the mechanics of it to know why cuts would work but engraves would throw the alignment off-kilter.

Trying to eliminate things. What is the reason you have the file divided up into so many different operations for, even though they seem to be for cutting? Is that to get the order set for inner and outer cuts and engraves ?

It’s just a lot of pieces. Box top, box bottom, gear assembly, game top, inner dividers. Three parts have engraving on them, and several have score lines.

Looks like this:

Except the game board (top center) and inner box bottom (lower right) were cut separately from other materials, so it’s not really that complex. Just lots of pieces.

Wow. That’s a beautiful file. Not sure if size and complexity issues are arising here. Could you make all the cuts one color and do them and ignore the engraving. Then do another print with just the engraving. And those engravings are filled vectors and not placed rasters? I’m wondering if that circle engrave of little circles is messing things up.

1 Like

The circular design is actually a repeated character from a decorative font, converted to curves. All the fonts are filled shapes with no outlines, as are the little circles with lock icons in them on the inner box bottom.

I tried doing just two of the engraved pieces. I started with just the engraving portion, setting the cuts to ignore.

The top engrave was totally messed up, but I went ahead and tried to cut the one with the circle. I even powered down the machine so it could recalibrate first, in case it was off from the botched engrave. This is what happened:

That’s so strange. Especially at this stage when everything looks so nice. It’s going to be be amazing. I’m out of ideas, especially if @evansd2 tested it and it works. I’ll keep thinking about it.

1 Like

I updated my previous message because I remembered that I actually did try one of the cuts. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I haven’t seen @evansd2 on today; my brother @timjedwards is the one who helped me test the file. @evansd2 is the one who makes me want to create complex geometries, but so far I’m not nearly as good at it as he is!

1 Like

Teach me to just look for the any old handle with an e and an a in it for the reference.:blush:

2 Likes

I’m sorry you are having trouble and don’t have any insights to offer, but just wanted to say you have the cutest assistant/inspector ever! Love the name.

3 Likes

My granddaughter asked for naming rights. I told her it was fine as long as I had veto rights. Turned out I didn’t have to use them – I liked what she came up with. :slight_smile: Life’s Little Instruction Book says never to get just one kitten, so “Axel” will also be joining us in another week or so. (We had a fun Grandma Day looking at kittens together!)

2 Likes

They are right about that. In this case two kittens/cats are really easier than one.

She did a great job!

@jaz, please don’t let my casual kitten chatter convince you that things are okay down here…I’m dreading the thought of a whole weekend without the use of my 'Forge, really hoping you might have a magical solution for me! :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Thanks so much for doing the test and posting the results.

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details.

I’m so sorry about the bad news!