I just wet my leather

Interesting test. I just soaked a piece of leather until it stopped fizzing. I wiped it off and ran some test cuts and engraves.

It really cut down on the smoke and the leather doesn’t smell too bad. There wasn’t much smoke staining until I really fried it.

Going to switch to the computer to add the settings…

Thickness: 0.06"

From left to right (GF Pro),

Cuts

140/100
155/100
170/100
185/100
200/100
220/100
235/100
250/100

Not sure what happened between 200 and 220. :wink:

Engraves (Opps, didn’t write down the first set but both sets started at 65)

1000/full
1000/95
1000/85
1000/75
1000/65

All of the engraves came out nice. The 65 was a nice and shallow cut while the full power went almost all the way through the leather. For the cuts I would probably use about 175 or 180.

Now on to the project test…

18 Likes

A word of caution. The leather swelled to 0.09” thick after some time and didn’t cut all the way through. :yum:

Still, it was good enough to move to the next step.

12 Likes

That second pic actually looks pretty awesome.

It looks like a shoulder piece for some badass leather armor.

4 Likes

It does. Maybe for a ferret since it is only an inch or so across. I’m working on an earring design.

3 Likes

FWIW I had a similar experience when I was zapping slices of wet wood. No soot at all. (Of course most of them bent all over the place when they dried, but maybe I could fix that. Hmm, maybe frozen instead of wet.)

1 Like

Great idea! To cut down on warpage, wet both sides equally and then put wax paper on the good side, then heavy objects, such as cutting boards & books, on top.

1 Like

Warping wasn’t an issue with the leather but a good weight will help with the wood. It might take some the to equalize.