I Like To Make Stuff | Bike Lights

I think EL wire would look nicer. LED’s are pretty harsh, EL has a nice calm glow and clean lines.

2 Likes

Yeah I considered that. And I concluded that most RGB LED strips can be dimmed and I’d do just that. OR use dimming in my control. Maybe the faster I go, the brighter I get?

4 Likes

One thing to consider as you plan LED stuff is that the power requirements mount up. Each RGB triple consumes 60 mA at max brightness, so as you get up into the dozens or hundreds you’re talking real power.

Although for some applications it might be worth it. With the newer generation of LED strings (APA102) you could very nearly turn your bike wheel into a tv screen.

4 Likes

Thou EL wire/tapes are aesthetically nicer. I can’t stand the inverter whine. I usually use a strip of WS281X and defuse them with mylar. More options in the way of colors and brightness. And silent operation.

5 Likes

There are some very cool Persistence of Vision effects being used with LEDs and bikes, and other methods.

2 Likes

Oooh… that’s pretty cool! Great little video and showcase of the GF. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And then at 88mph you too can go back to the future!

7 Likes