http://www.clevelandart.org/art/2.2017

Amazing work. Gotta be CNC or laser. So
Cool.

9 Likes

It’s beautiful woodcraft.

1 Like

[quote=“evansd2, post:1, topic:33639”]
Gotta be CNC or laser
[/quote]http://www.clevelandart.org/art/collection/search?f[0]=field_artist%3AAi%2C%20Weiwei%20(Chinese%2C%201957-)

I think that the date gives the game away.

1 Like

Well, that doesn’t at all capture the scale:
Imgur

Just read up on the artist… really interesting life story. And the description of the box is pretty interesting, as well: " Treasure Box is a masterpiece of craftsmanship conceived in precious rosewood or huali (used since the Ming Dynasty, 1368-1644). The work has been entirely built without resorting to a single nail or screw. Hidden mortises and tenons fix the pieces together. This giant puzzle box conceals a cylindrical structure in its centre. The different sides of the cube are made of hexagons, revealing in places the inside of the structure. This latter is formed of an intricate combination of shelves. Once opened, the work unveils multiple compartments of outstanding finishes. Treasure Box is part of a series of cubes with similar dimensions - one square meter - made of ebony, crystal and compressed tea. Treasure Box stands out for its concept of concealing and revealing, which could be referencing to today’s political context."

@harry.saunders.skye, I think the date you’re seeing is his birth year. I believe the piece was made in 2016. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Given the background and the artist I would not be so quick to bet on laser or CNC, Aside from the obvious hexagons the “Hidden mortises and tenons fix the pieces together” and " Once opened, the work unveils multiple compartments of outstanding finishes." would indicate that there is far more there than would be even possible with a CNC much less a laser.

3 Likes

The wood is so beautiful!

1 Like

Very much a threatened species as well

1 Like

Might be reclaimed wood, especially since he seems to be making a statement in each design element.

Just looking at it in person I’m not going to rule digital processes out, it was incredibly uniform and well-made.

That being said, the Cleveland museum of art is an absolutely world-class museum, and I spent all day looking at works that defy belief with their quality and precision. I could see it go either way. As I see it, fundamentally the piece isn’t about process (like some other works, where the main point is to show visible evidence of how it was made) — its incredible precision and finished exterior are supposed to amaze you and set the stage for the mysterious interior.

Like any art, there is a subjective interpretation by each person, and you know how we are… laser all the things! I couldn’t help but wonder how it was made, but that faded quickly as I tried to explore the interior.

Seriously, go to the Cleveland museum of art. It’s outstanding and completely free. Sometimes we humans do something right.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.