I need to organize my junk!

I am getting a new desk, which means I am moving the contents of my old desk drawers to a 2-drawer file cabinet I had. The new cabinet needed a tray on the file hangers to keep the stuff I want close at hand, so I was able to make one! This right here is why I love this thing so much. I hope the glue holds :slight_smile:

25 Likes

Wow; that is really nice! Do you have to be careful with how much weight is put in it? Will those edge braces be strong enough to hold?

2 Likes

We shall see, but I hope so. I don’t need much more than pens, binder clips, and paperclips, so it shouldn’t be too heavy. If it does fail, I can come up with something else (which actually, I just thought of another way to do it, which I probably should have done in the first place). But then I get to mess with it again, so it’ll be fun at least!

1 Like

if it does end up too heavy for the fingers, you can always adapt the front and back pieces like this and then add that finger joint to the top to “tap into” the front/back edges of your side bars.

10 Likes

I was thinking similarly but as a straight scan of the shape of the folders with the hooks. Four of those fingered to the bottom and sides and a piece to take weight on the rails with the “Y” direction sliding knife-wise into place.

1 Like

That’s even better than what I had for plan B! Which was redoing it all in acrylic with weld on.

2 Likes

Could still be in Acrylic so you could see underneath :grin:

3 Likes

That’s a great alternative too. I’ll file all this away for when I get my desk and actually have to use this. Thanks!

3 Likes

Super practical project! You could make them in different depths and lengths.

2 Likes

Or even tear apart a folder and glue the metal rails to the front and back of a relatively simple tray design… lots of ways to solve this if your joints don’t hold up.

1 Like

Dang that is so true. I ended up with a ton of empty folders, because while going through them I decided I no longer needed to keep documentation I had from three jobs ago from 1999, or service records from a car I had 10 years ago, or paycheck stubs from my husband’s job from the early 2000’s. I mean, wow the stuff I was keeping. Makes me want to go through the BIG filing cabinet I have and clean that out too!

3 Likes

Good solution to your problem

1 Like