I think I found my Glowforge table

So I tried to stick a magnet to my table-top yesterday. It didn’t stick. I thought it was steel, but I guess it’s aluminum? Is there any way to tell what kind of metal it is aside from magnetism?

1 Like

aluminum is non-sparking…

10 Likes

You can still use magnetism to help refine the guess. Para- and Dia-magnetic properties are pretty distinct.

4 Likes

A lot of stainless is non-magnetic, but it’s weight and hardness would make it easily distinguishable from aluminum.

On a side note of ferrous metal ID, a spark test will also show if it is mild or carbon. Mild has an orange spark while carbon steel has a brighter spark that terminates in a “burst” that looks like a mini firework.

8 Likes

Found the original link, with more details on this IKEA hack!

8 Likes

Yep - and I looked at that idea when at IKEA on Sunday (see my IKEA gifts link IKEA gift ideas) but will have to find room if I go that direction. I almost like the regular base ( with 6 (or 8?)12x12 openings) since they make the drawers,doors,shelves esp. for that size but either way makes me think about it.

1 Like

I did not know that. I just thought all steel was magnetic. It is heavier than I would expect aluminum to be, so maybe it is steel.

2 Likes

We have one of those ikea tables (my spouse is a quilter), and they’re nice. But they are a pain to put together because all of the interior bits have to fit at the same instant for it to go together. And the box really, truly does not want to be carried up stairs. (Speaking as someone who installed a bunch of ikea cabinets in a 5th-floor walkup).

1 Like

Thanks for the insight! I have also put together some IKEA furniture that seemed to require 4 hands! I got it done myself, but took quite a bit of patience :slight_smile:

Finally picked up this table at a friends house. They bought it last year for me at the liquidation auction of an old elementary school. It’s 36" x 28" so depending on how the Glowforge’s hoofs are I’ll adapt a bigger sheet of plywood to overlay this. It’s got a power strip built in. Will also get a mobile cart for a dedicated computer for this.

31 Likes

well, I’m out of likes for today, so here’s a thumb’s up! :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Ooooo, nice!

1 Like

food find but I would suggest finding a way to limit the ting of the sheet metal

1 Like

“Ting”, as in echos and reverb from mechanical motion? Will be interesting how resonance plays out. Will have to wait and see.

ya wide sheets of sheet metal can have different sounds to it drumming, thunder, vibration etc…

1 Like

worst case solution for that would be to slap some dynamat on the bottom of the shelf. I say ‘worst case’ because I’m sure you could find a cheaper solution. Dynamat is not cheap, but it works great.

2 Likes

friend of mine has hours luck with https://www.lowes.com/pd/Peel-Seal-Instant-Waterproof-Repairs-6-in-x-25-ft-Aluminum-Roll-Flashing/1018733

4 Likes

Good stuff, used to be called “FlashTac” here more aluminium foil, less butyl but works well sealing the weather out or reducing NVH.

1 Like

20 Likes

Completely utilitarian, I noticed this at the local Princess Auto…
At $45 CAD, I’m not sure I could complain…

7 Likes