I think I found my Glowforge table

Just wondering what y’all think. Here’s a link, and photo is below.

It’s actually a TV stand. I’ve been keeping an eye out for a very short cart with locking wheels that I could put the filter plus Glowforge on and not have to stand on my tippy-toes to work in the machine. Weight capacity 150 lbs (filter + pro is 80 lbs), dimensions 17.4" H x 47.24" W x 19.69" D. I know it’s a little short in depth but maybe I could attach a board on top if the GF won’t fit (21" depth). Price right now is $112 with free shipping.

19 Likes

I’ve been having trouble finding something with appropriate depth as well (that I like).

We had to build one. :frowning: That one looks nice though.

1 Like

My new Glowforge table, well it will be when I build it.

20 Likes

If you’re getting the Pro, you’ll want to think about in/outfeed roller tables as well to handle the materials you’re feeding through the pass-through.

Stainless steel restaurant prep tables are similar in price at many restaurant supply shops - especially if you’ve got a used equipment dealer near you. You can slap a cow on one of those so dropping a GF on top won’t be an issue at all. You usually don’t need to be a restaurant or even own a business but you will likely need to have a truck or van to take it home with you.

4 Likes

Based on the looks, I’m not sure I’d trust it with a full 150 lbs. 80 lbs maybe. But I’d also be concerned that it will be too wobbly. I can’t say for sure but I’d have some concern about that.

3 Likes

Here is one with a depth of 22"
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52-in-11-Drawer-Mobile-Workbench-with-Solid-Wood-Top-22-in-Extra-Deep-HOTC5211B1QBD/204765860?MERCH=RV--rv_nav_plp_rr--NA--204765860--N

3 Likes

It’s really lovely but about 4x my budget. Plus it’s nearly 40" high. But I’d love to have one just for the drawers. :smile:

2 Likes

I guess I’ll find out. I decided to order one!

4 Likes

I did look at some of those but didn’t see any that were low enough for my needs. Good thought though!

2 Likes

Nice, bit on the expensive side but lots of drawers to hold materials. Might clash with the office furniture a bit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm. Am I going to need one table for stationary, one for moblie?

1 Like

I’m planning a single table with heavy duty locking casters. I want to be able to move it away from the wall easily so I can use the pass through slot. That’s an additional advantage of having the filter - the machine isn’t tethered to the exhaust hose going out the window or wall.

3 Likes

Here is my GF table! I found this sheet of metal in the garage at my old place.

It’s 28" x 48" x 1/4". I was thinking about drilling holes in it and adding legs, but I’m also kind of feeling a wood frame that I set it into.

17 Likes

holes and drilling down should help make it flatter than any sitting on edge might have warped, though that could just be photography.

2 Likes

You knew you could use it for something! Looks like a perfect choice.
If you plan a permanent assembly, construction adhesive (liquid nails for example) would secure it without drilling.

Your plan to just set it on the surface would probably work fine.
I have always been a fan of mechanical fasteners, and would probably drill and countersink for flat head screws so they are flush with the surface.

3 Likes

Just moved into a new apartment. This is the desk I made (well, I made the top). It’ll double as my editing suite for my photography, but you get the idea. :slight_smile:

20 Likes

Nice color finish man!
The fit with that rounded edge makes it look like it grew there… only one problem - it’s entirely too clean.
Get busy child!

You got the pro right? Wondering how the venting might work for you. I’ll wager you scrutinized the lease for (laser) prohibitions.

4 Likes

Oh, I’m workin on it!! :smiley:

I actually got the basic (long story). But I’ll be moving the desk near a window when the laser comes. :smiley:

2 Likes

I think that’s the picture. It was sitting on a table for the last year at least. I just have it standing up on end like that until I figure out what’s going on in the new place and make a place for it.

That said, I’ve been having some new ideas… Since the metal is the cool part of this new table, I might make a double-wide table with wood on 1/2 and this metal on the other 1/2. The GF will sit on the wood 1/2 and the metal 1/2 will be my workbench. No sense covering up this awesome steel plate, even with something so beautiful as the Forge. This assumes that I have the room for a table this big which depends entirely on someone else. :frowning:

4 Likes