I want to make a cardboard Sasquatch

I’ve tried Sculptris, Netfabb and Meshmixer. Had very iffy results, although to be honest I was shooting for specific mesh modifications that had to be clean of non-manifold edges and self-intersections. It really made a mess and I wound up taking it into Rhino and doing it manually. Maybe in this case they would work better, but I’d be afraid they would introduce some weird results if not used correctly. (For that matter, F360 and Rhino might as well.) I hate messing with meshes.

F360 has a sculpting option that I’ve been wanting to play with. It’s a separate section from the regular sketches and geometry. It might actually work all right for this. It looks easy enough to use from the vids, but I haven’t had a chance to get into anything specific yet.

You might be right that Blender is the best choice though. (Never tried it.) It’s another option.

2 Likes

I agree, most of these editors were made for modeling with digital rendering as the desired end result, not for making an actual physical object, so they all seem hell-bent on putting holes in the mesh or flipping faces.

2 Likes

Yes! Slicer for Fusion 360 is what popped into mind right away!

Best bet of course would be to get the original model and purchase Zbrush.
(I looked at that once tho and seem to recall it being teeth-grindingly expensive.) :frowning:

2 Likes

Do you guys know how they created the files for the cardboard globe thing that was in the early glowforge videos?

A thread on here I read recently pointed out that Intuos3D includes a copy of Zbrush Core. So maybe picking up the bundle is a better value? https://us-store.wacom.com/Product/Intuos-3D-S01?sku=CTH690TK

4 Likes

Nope! :grinning: Good isn’t it? (I want to be able to design one like that one day.)

Oh great…another toy I hadn’t seen! ROFL! :smile:

1 Like

123D Make: Software Used for the Globe Lamp

But I think Autodesk discontinued that software. :frowning:

1 Like

Hey! I just got a badge for that post. Apparently that is my first use of an emoji on here. :grin:

2 Likes

123D Make morphed into Slicer for Fusion. (Same program, although the new one has a lot more capabilities. Not necessarily a good thing, it’s harder to use.) :grinning:

Be careful…they’re addicting! :wink:

2 Likes

The nice thing about ZBrush is that updates are provided automatically to licensed users. I started with version 1 and now have version 4.8

4 Likes

Sure beats the Adobe model. :wink:

(I realize they have to pay the developers, but I’ve probably paid them enough over the years to buy a couple of Epilogs by now.) :smile:

2 Likes

Slicer for Fusion 360 will do the exact chopping of cardboard you are asking for.

Zbrush still not cheap but if it’s just one sasquatch face you need to modify the 30 day free trial is plenty of time. Warning: it’s not like any other 3D program, totally different interface and tools. Do go through at least an intro tutorial or you’ll go mad!

7 Likes

True – designed by a sculptor for artists-- it is the closest thing I’ve used to actually sculpting in clay.

3 Likes

So, just an update, I have made a trade deal with a good Zbrush modeler. He’s working on a good sasquatch for me. Next I’ll have to try figuring out just how to do the slicing thing. Starting to save up a pile of useful cardboard at work. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve not tried it personally, but I’d think the open-source Slic3r utility should be worth checking out. It claims to ingest STL/OBJ meshes and output SVG files.

Unless you’ve already devised a method, some sort of layer registration may be needed before generating the SVG slices. This way, the Glowforged layers drop onto a peg and are aligned perfectly.

1 Like

I may try using Meshmixer to subtract a hole or two from the model before going to Sliv3r to use for registration as the layers go on.

Slicr has several options to do exactly this, as well as label your layers, create assembly instructions and optimize/estimate part-layout-on-material :). There are even several cardboard types in the default material library. Not bad for free.

2 Likes

Wow, I need to get to learning slic3r. I’m waiting on the 3d model, but should have it any day now. :slight_smile: