I want to print a circle that is .215 diam and .0625 deep

Ok…I’m trying (honestly!) to print a circle on the back of my 5" x 7" print so that I can use a 3" long dowel inserted into the hole to use to display the print. Problem is that I’m ending up with either too shallow of hole or it goes all the way through the proofgrade material (1/8"). Has anyone tried this before and, if so, what are your suggestions for settings? I have tried many different settings: Power: 60-100, LPI: 125-450. I’m sure I’m just missing ‘something’ but just can’t get the right combination!! PLEASE HELP!!

1 Like

Trying to engrave for a specific depth is very hit-or-miss. My recommendation would be to start with the settings you have that are too shallow, then start increasing the LPI to take it deeper. You’re going to have to run a few test cases with a very small design…just a little filled circle or square - until you get it the depth that you want.

5 Likes

If your material is proofgrade click on the engrave settings and then slow down the speed and/or increase the LPI. This will make the engrave deeper. If your material is not proofgrade, select the proofgrade closest to what it is and do the same. As Jules said, as long as you don’t move your material you can rerun the engrave to make it deeper (but not shallower.)

I do this fairly frequently, but usually on a different material so I just do some tests on scrap until I have about what I want. I rarely bother to write down my settings for some reason. However, we would need to know what your material is before we could hope to provide you any settings. You could also search beyond the manual for your material and see if anyone else has tried and posted about it.

3 Likes

Thank you both for your input! I’m hoping to use this design on proofgrade basswood, maple and cherry. All of the tests I’ve done so far are on scraps of maple. As you said (and like I told my husband), I need to write down the settings for each test, then mark the results so I can avoid retesting the same settings. I’ll use your input and keep trying! Thx!

Start with the HD engrave settings for each material. You might find that it cuts deeply enough that you can just run two passes and it will get down far enough. (And when you are engraving for depth, there will be a buildup of hard resins in the front side of the hole…you’ll need to ream that out with a small chisel or make the hole a little larger to compensate.)

3 Likes

So you can get a better idea of what I want to accomplish.

Yeah, that’s doable with a couple tests. If you’re getting close, but not quite there, you can ream it out or do one additional pass at regular settings.

1 Like

If it’s on the back why not cut a small piece with a hole in it and glue it on? It’ll be reliable and stronger.

13 Likes

And THAT is why I posted my question!! Excellent suggestion and will most likely save time & energy (spent on frustration so far!!) Good idea! Will give it a try!

5 Likes

I’d just score it and then hit the drill press.

5 Likes

Exactly my thought!

That is what forstner bits for.

Just wanted to share what my end result looks like. I made it large enough to have my URL, and made it high enough that it can be aligned to the bottom edge of the plaque and the hole will be at the desired height. Thank you to all who provided input!!

5 Likes

Excellent solution. Next up: making it a flashier shape, making it of a different material, etc. The possibilities are only limited to how much time you spend on it.

I like your alignment trick.

2 Likes

Thx! Everything I do is a “work in progress”!! Never really satisfied, but when I get to a certain point, I can claim success…until the next idea/solution comes along!!

2 Likes

Being able to find that point is so important!

3 Likes