I was threatened šŸ™€

BTW, if your travels bring you through the Denver area, be sure to give me a heads-up and stop by for a solid home cooked meal for you and your mate there!

6 Likes

Great Story, Safe Travels. How do you have the glowforge secured from bumps in the road etc.

2 Likes

This is amazing.

8 Likes

I really wanted to do that from a sailboat but it is now too late in life for my body to manage it. There was a 60foot trimaran that I think finally sold for $45k but I could not swing that sort of cash at that time. I think you could play football on the deck, and it was rigged for single handing and way better shape than the price would indicate

8 Likes

This is SO cool, JB. What a great life-change. If I were younger and more agile, Iā€™d be envious. Very happy for you both!

5 Likes

Yā€™all always have the most overwhelming responses to thingsā€¦ this is a heck of a community!

Offers like these are just amazing and show what this community really is. I slept at a gas station in Lebanon, MO on my way back from a Minnesota ice-fishing trip; you offered then as well, which is just awesome. Itā€™s a good thing I didnā€™t take you up on it at the time, since I came down with the flu the moment I got home. I love that area of MO down through the Ozarks and into Northern and Central Arkansas. At some point, I will definitely be back that way to explore some more.

As for Denver, I have a feeling that Iā€™ll be going through at some pointā€¦ that area has so much to offer and Iā€™ve spent very little time in CO compared to the surrounding states.

Slow is definitely good; Iā€™ve done a lot of trips before this but they were really run and gun, as I was a lot more mobile just with the truck and a tent. The advantage is that I was a lot more mobile, the disadvantage is also that I was a lot more mobile, so I didnā€™t take full advantage of the places I was at.

I know a lot of people follow the craft circuit around - how cool would it be for a maker to be able to do that with the level of customization that the Glowforge allows for? The filter will definitely open up some possibilities for that type of environment; I wonder though, since youā€™re fully self-contained (Iā€™m guessing), if you couldnā€™t have your booth and park nearby - and just ferry the finished pieces back to the booth for customers. Schedule an ā€œorder readyā€/pickup time. Not sure if that would damper the immediate gratification thing and discourage sales or not?

WIth the Snapmarks, Iā€™ve started engraving little quips, quotes, etc. on the back of the some of the specialty piecesā€¦ one of them that I use, if I have a cat piece, is ā€œThe cat does not offer services. The cat offers itself.ā€ Not sure how it goes over with cat lovers, but I think itā€™s true enough :slight_smile:

When I moved up this way from Houston, I rented the biggest UHaul truck they had and it was packed as tight as could beā€¦ and that was just for me. I told more of a story hereā€¦ but the reality is, I sold a good portion of those things that were ā€œweighing me down.ā€ Granted, I have a storage unitā€¦but Iā€™m working at reducing the stuff that is in there as well. Which is hard - I hold onto a lot of sentimental type stuffā€¦ and letā€™s be honest, non-sentimental stuff as well (a good chance youā€™re going to need it at some point, right!?). But, I started going through clothes to sell and give awayā€¦ a lot of them still had dry cleaning tags on them from before I even made the last move up to Wimberley (over 18 months). It feels good to get rid of a lot of that stuffā€¦

My original plan was to get a ā€œtoy haulerā€ style, since they have garages (that is mostly meant for hauling toys - motorcycles, ATVā€™s, etc.) but I just couldnā€™t swing it with what I had budgeted. They seem to be in fairly short supply, with a fair amount of demand, so they really pull a premium on them that I wasnā€™t willing to pay. The toy hauler route would have been much easier to make this work, and I could see someone being able to set up a pretty complete workshop in one of them. Iā€™ll probably try to upgrade to one in a few years. Basically, youā€™re putting a shop into a ~10x8ā€™ area (but, the rear door can often act as a platform [they call it a party patio, I see workspace]ā€¦ so you could have another 8x8ā€™ that you could pull mobile workspaces out onto)

I went the rear bunkhouse layoutā€¦ so, the back is basically a slideout with a bunk area. I pulled out the furniture (mattresses, a sleeper sofa) and then just utilized the bunk structure and the open area with the sofa gone. Itā€™s tight thoughā€¦ and my workflow is more methodical now. Before, I had the room to just work on things as I pleased. With things being tighter, I find myself moving equipment around to the work area, which makes me work more in stages: print everything, trim everything, etc.

No satellite right now. Iā€™ll see if itā€™s something that I really, really need. Also, no generator at this point, so Iā€™ll be sticking to pretty established campgrounds rather than boondocking. Iā€™ll just have to be a little more choosy about where I stay and make sure that it has some type of connectivity. I picked up a Verizon Jetpack to supplement my data and make it to where I didnā€™t have to reconfigure devices as often (it also acts as a router, so I can send stuff to the printers, etc). I plugged it in the first day and blew through the 15GB 4G data allotment, so now Iā€™m at 600KB/s for the rest of the monthā€¦ I did bring along the XBOX (for streaming on one of the TVā€™s and the occasional game if Iā€™m really bored). Apparently, when I hooked the XBOX up to the jetpack, it decided to update everything that hadnā€™t been updated in the past month. Lesson learned :slight_smile:

I thought about a blog. I really donā€™t know what ā€œvoiceā€ I want to put with it though. There are a lot of travel type blogs out there that are chock full of good info. I donā€™t really know what I could offer above and beyond whatā€™s out there (thatā€™s partly a problem with the way that I think ā€“ if I canā€™t offer something betterā€¦ then why do it? Which is probably not a great way to think about it, since the info could still be useful to someone.) And I would have to name it too! Thatā€™s always the really stinkinā€™ hard partā€¦ Ridinā€™ with Rio? Down Rio (River)?

Iā€™ve had a couple of people use that wordā€¦ courage. I appreciate it, but donā€™t know that I fully get it. Itā€™s definitely not normal (I get that lol). But, I donā€™t know about courageous. I hope to hell it works out, but if it doesnā€™t, whatā€™s the worst that can happen, ya know? (Have I convinced you to do the same now? haha)

Iā€™m using the Glowforge packaging. I kind of wish I had a better solution because itā€™s a BIG box in a little space and I havenā€™t found a good place for it yet when the laser is setup. But, itā€™s also a box that I have to bring along, if I ever need to send it in for work.

Thanks to you and your team. You bringing your vision to fruition is what really makes something like this possible (at least much less painful than other solutions). The form factor - a self-contained, fairly mobile/lightweight unit, took a lot of the potential frustration out of making it happen.

13 Likes

While youā€™re at it, you could start writing a book about your adventures. Seriously.

For reference, one of my favorite books of all time is ā€œThe Art of Racing In The Rainā€ by Garth Stein.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s one of my favorites as well! Would you happen to be a ghost writer? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you find yourself in the greater Sacramento area I would be happy to host you and Rio. It would be street parking, but itā€™s a quiet, level, pull-through street.

5 Likes

Happy cake day!

1 Like

What an amazing adventure! Very happy for you! (And Rio!)

2 Likes

"Glow-mad: Nomadic life with a laser, a camera, and a dog. "

11 Likes

Your perspective is always going to be different than anyone elseā€™s. Youā€™re an amazing photographer and youā€™re traveling around with a Glowforge, a serious printer, and a cute dog. Pretty sure whatever you put up is going to be fun, interesting, and unique. Iā€™ve been running a blogging group for nearly a decade and I think a lot of people feel the way you do, but some of the very best blogs werenā€™t written for the audience, so much as a way for the blogger to journal and capture memories. Iā€™d follow your blog, so I hope you do it. :wink:

10 Likes

Exactly. :smiley:

4 Likes

Iā€™d read it!

3 Likes

Just jump into a blog. Let it find its own voice unless you have a particular message you really want to put out, but then it usually has a voice previous to the start anyway and it wouldnā€™t be an issue.

3 Likes

I for one would definitely read the wandering meanderings of a Glow-mad!!

6 Likes

Ha! I like that! I went ahead and made one last night sittinā€™ around the campfire though. Ridinā€™ with Rio.

As-is. No warranties. No guarantees. Likely to not be kid-friendly, depending on if/when things go badly.

Cc: @sailbyc @ChristyM @geek2nurse @smcgathyfay

Nowā€¦ I have to see if my frozen pizza will actually fit in my oven. Things could go badly.

15 Likes

You can always try heating it up in the glowforge LOL ā€¦not

4 Likes

Following.

(also living vicariously, so please hit up Idaho, Montana, Colorado and Utah)

7 Likes