I was threatened šŸ™€

Wowā€¦fantastic shots! Looks like youā€™re in a henge somewhereā€¦

2 Likes

Yesā€¦@jbmanning5ā€¦I was thinking the same thingā€¦you being alone out there. Rio couldnā€™t help in any way if heā€™s kenneled back at your RVā€¦even if heā€™s cooler than Lassie!

3 Likes

Um, yeahā€¦heh heh. :roll_eyes: :slightly_smiling_face: Something you get used to, though. We love the deserts as wellā€¦especially here in Oregon.

3 Likes

Oh, where is that roof?

Seriously @jbmanning5 I do hope you can let folk know when you are off alone. " Iā€™ve fallen and canā€™t get up" is no joke in that country.

2 Likes

He could end up like that guy who wound up cutting his arm off with his jacknife to get out from under a rock he was trapped by a few years ago. (Donā€™t recall the name but heā€™s on the motivational speaker circuit now.)

4 Likes

I can imagine :scream:

2 Likes

Turns out it was way longer ago than I remembered (I must be getting really old :slight_smile:)

On one hand I give him credit for the cajones he demonstrated but mostly his story pisses me off. I spent years teaching kids and adults how to responsibly visit the backcountry. This guy broke every rule - did not have the 10 essentials with him, no hiking plan, didnā€™t tell anyone where he was going or when heā€™d be back, no means of calling for helpā€¦

I used to do SAR work and almost inevitably it was caused by stupid. Only rarely was it because someone who was properly prepared got caught in bad circumstances.

@jbmanning5 - hereā€™s a personal locator beacon:
https://www.amazon.com/PLB-375-ResQLink-Buoyant-Personal-Locator/dp/B006JXY0CQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1549933156&sr=8-2&keywords=epirb

The price has gone up since I bought my last one (the battery is good for 5 years) but itā€™s well worth the goodness. I carry one on me when Iā€™m backpacking and even when Iā€™m on a long-distance motorcycle ride. (I keep this one on me so if Iā€™m off the bike I can still call for help when Iā€™m out of range of cell towers.)

The other piece of tracking gear I carry is one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/SPOT-Satellite-GPS-Messenger-Orange/dp/B00C8S8S4W/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1549933156&sr=8-17&keywords=epirb

This one requires a subscription that makes it kind of pricey. But it will send pings every few minutes so people at home can follow your progress. I have one of these mounted to the bike. There is an SOS facility that will call SAR as well although itā€™s not quite as global as the 406 beacon. It also allows for a couple of other messages that you can transmit - so when I stop for more than a few minutes Iā€™ll send the ā€œIā€™m OK, just stoppingā€ message. Thereā€™s also another message option you can set that I use for ā€œIā€™m not able to call for help and I need some, but itā€™s not life-threatening so donā€™t send in the helicopters.ā€

I figure itā€™s my responsibility to the people at home to make sure I can let someone know I need help before Iā€™m dead :slight_smile: Unless of course I am suddenly dead but thatā€™s a whole 'nother thing.

I used to carry a Sat phone when I was backpacking the AT/CDT but I found it didnā€™t work enough times (even on mountain tops above the tree line with nothing in the way of the signal for miles) that I gave it up - it was expensive false security.

< end soapbox rant >

13 Likes

PREACH IT!
I completely agree. And what did he get for his large dose of stupid?
A speaking circuit.
Lot of cajones, to be sure. I mean, he got out alive, so there is that. And thatā€™s good.
But 10 essentials, buddy system, and tell somebody where you plan to be and for how long.

3 Likes

Too many people donā€™t have the sense that was common 100 years ago. You can get dead pretty easily in the backcountry. We need more people to get eaten by bears or something so everyone knows they need to be careful out there.

1 Like

Back in my IT days I had a couple of Danish employees. We were at Home Depot with them one time shopping for a chainsaw, and they noticed the warning label that says not to touch the blade while it was running. They wanted to know why the company would put a warning on their product about something that was just basic common sense, and I said it was to avoid lawsuits when stupid people cut off their hands.

They couldnā€™t believe anyone would have the gall to sue for something like that, and said if a Dane ever did something that stupid not only would he not file a lawsuit, but he would just bleed to death rather than seek treatment and have to admit to having done something so stupid. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

I think I like Danes :smile:

5 Likes

Iā€™ve never met a Dane I didnā€™t like. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Eh. Heā€™s more likely to pull me down face first over a rock :slight_smile:

It was a reasonably safe place to be (not in the boonies) in the event something happened - and near impossible to get lostā€¦ as in, if you got lost (actually, real lost), you donā€™t need to be out there, as the entire thing is encompassed by roadway :slight_smile:

Iā€™m pretty good with knowing my limits, though things can and always do happen. That said, Iā€™m no expert in this area (I claim expertise in very few areas)ā€¦ someone generally knows where I am and where Iā€™m going, and to send the cavalry if itā€™s a very unreasonable amount of time since Iā€™ve checked in.

How cool! I havenā€™t made plans that far ahead for this year yet; Iā€™m debating North Woods of Minnesota (BWCA area) for at least late summer and into fall. Iā€™ve spent a lot of time up there already though, but itā€™s good to see familyā€¦ the fishing is amazing. BWCA trips are amazing. I will definitely let you know though. Iā€™ve only done a little bit of time in Oregon (Cannon Beach area) and it was really beautiful. But it was so packed! Iā€™m horrible at making reservations. Itā€™s come close to biting me a time or three, but Iā€™ve always lucked out.

Pretty much haha. Dumping straight out of the tanks isnā€™t bad, but I have a smaller, portable 18-gallon tank, if Iā€™m set up in an area for a couple of weeks. Hey, I like my showersā€¦ that can get a little messy to use, but I try to only use it for gray water!

Itā€™s an interesting placeā€¦ about a mile elevation, but basically foothills, just south of the whole Gila Wilderness area. Itā€™s basically a large deposit of volcanic rocks right out in the middle of the valley. The volcanic activity has added such interesting things to the whole landscape out this way.

Thatā€™s actually really cool. Iā€™ve looked at them before but always ran into the whole subscription thing.

Pretty much. Not always but if I were a betting manā€¦ The Aron Ralston movie is called 127 Hours, I think. Iā€™ve seen it before. I canā€™t say that I would have done what he did, but we generally donā€™t know what we will do until put into a situation.

Money is a helluva motivator.

7 Likes

Oh. And I guess keeping with the theme of pictures, here is one from tonight with the moon throwing (fine, reflecting) a little more light out. (The other pictures werent moonlightā€¦ they were an off-camera LED floodlight) This isnā€™t the actual City of Rocks that I was in last night. This is a bit further off, and smaller. Suburb of Rocks!

A little light pollution (Las Cruces and El Paso - 80-100 miles as the crow flies), a few stars, some rocks, a couple of airplanes.

22 Likes

S.t.u.n.n.i.n.g :star_struck: :open_mouth: colorsā€¦

1 Like

The Spots & InReach types are trackers first & beacons second. The subscription pays for the tracking. Since they rely on other communication tech, they donā€™t always work in a Hail-Mary scenario.

The PLBs are only locator beacons. But theyā€™re satellite based and monitored by global SAR agencies (USAF here) so no hand-off between folks getting the messages and the scramble teams. The trackers go through a couple of layers before it gets to someone who will then scramble help. They also have a local beacon feature so when rescuers get close they can home in precisely. And the batteries have to be good for 5 years storage and then operate for at least 24hrs pinging. No tracking but if you need life-saving help theyā€™ll get the job done.

I carry both because sometimes I may be in need of help but not the level of helicopters. The trackers let me get a help message out that my folks back home can then use to get local LEO help (tow trucks, non-laser threatening medical) when the cellphone doesnā€™t work.

Belts & suspenders. I like to be not dead :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Well hereā€™s a little motivator: https://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions/oregon-usor.htm
Iā€™m a few blocks from https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjIj9rz3rbgAhXGzKQKHcycAYEQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FSt._Johns_Bridge&psig=AOvVaw2MOLiAGu2lsIxeA3PXhbex&ust=1550079668375445
and this is my favorite thinking spot (the granite dome on the right):
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiDwKuc37bgAhWmsqQKHQBnCrwQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmikeputnamphoto.com%2Fproduct%2Fcolumbia-river-gorge%2F&psig=AOvVaw2OofdE9Z760Fz6lMkZPzyq&ust=1550079728445847

3 Likes

Best of luck @jbmanning5!! and happy trails! :blue_car:

2 Likes

Speaking of which, Rio somehow caught his tie out lead on the valve of the black tank while hooking up to move this AM. He didnā€™t release the valve but he did snap stuff. I guess you can figure out what Iā€™m doing later todayā€¦

8 Likes

oh bummer! I never understood why they made the handles and valves on those things so dinky! I broke a handle one time because the valve was frozen shut and I pulled too hard. had to use a pair of vise grips until it was warm enough to replace the whole thing. Hope your day goes better from here!

6 Likes